• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 June 2022 - 06:57 PM

Hello all,

I have a new challenge with the company that I just recently started with, we had a small food manufacturer and we hot-fill-hold for many of our products (sauces and soups) We fill above 180F, and use steam capper process, 212 F for 30 min. In one of our products we have 5.86 ph value. my First question is do we need to have our products register under FDA regulations for acidified foods? and also do I need to use a Pressure cooker instead of the steam sealer process?

this is the first time I came across with this process so I'm trying to understand it better.

your input is really appreciated

Thanks! 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 16 June 2022 - 07:30 PM

Yes

Federal Regulations require commercial processors of shelf stable acidified foods and low-acid canned foods in a hermetically sealed container to be sold in the United States to register each establishment and file scheduled processes with the Food and Drug Administration for each product, product style, container size and type and processing method (21 CFR 108). This website contains instructions for establishment registration and process filing along with other information useful to manufacturers of these types of products. 

A low-acid canned food (LACF) is any food (other than alcoholic beverages) with a finished equilibrium pH greater than 4.6 and a water activity greater than 0.85, excluding tomatoes and tomato products having a finished equilibrium pH less than 4.7.

An acidified food (AF) is a low-acid food to which acid(s) or acid food(s) are added and which has a finished equilibrium pH of 4.6 or below and a water activity (aw) greater than 0.85.

https://www.fda.gov/...ory-information

As for pressure canning, your schedule process should tell you the answer-if you don't have one, you need that as well

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

carlacnm02

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 21 June 2022 - 04:29 PM

Thank you so much for your reply, another we also are keeping these products refrigerated so I read that if we are not storing at room temperature we do not need to get registration. Do I need to have a process authority to validate this process?

Also If any can give some guidance about what would I consider to be my CCP for this process,  My first thoughts are having the  filling temp/ time  as ccp 1 then and thermal sealing Temp/time as ccp 2 ?

CP will be fCooking time and Ph readings for each batch. Do I need to have water activity as a CP? 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 21 June 2022 - 04:38 PM

Ah, not shelf stable, that does change things

What is your expected shelf life?

I would only do water activity as a CCP if you had a really tight acceptable range

Here is a link that will walk you through what you need as a refrigerated product  (which by default means your not shelf stable-that is product at ambient temps)

https://www.fda.gov/...ns-and-Flow.pdf

"Precursor Questions 1. Is the product stored, distributed, and retailed under refrigerated or frozen conditions? If yes, go to 1(a). If no, go to 2. a. The product is not covered by 21 CFR Part 113 or 21 CFR Part 114"

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 22 June 2022 - 04:28 AM

Hi carlacnm02,

For hot-fill pasteurised products that are not pH protected (low-acid) it is quite likely that the post fill cooling will also be a CCP to prevent spore activation and growth.

Kind regards,

Tony

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,327 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 22 June 2022 - 11:22 PM

Be careful with this because you could have c. bot growth at refrigerated temperatures.  It is not that common and the FDA is currently evaluating it, but they do recommend other control measures to potential control any outgrowth under refrigerated conditions dependent on your product.

See some links / resources below.

https://www.fda.gov/...ns-and-Flow.pdf

https://www.fda.gov/...low-acid-juices

https://www.fda.gov/...557742-10112018

Thanked by 1 Member:

carlacnm02

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 July 2022 - 04:10 PM

Thank you all for your advices.

Estrellita3

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 25 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Peru
    Peru

Posted 11 October 2023 - 07:35 PM

Hi There,

This was very useful. I wanted to add a few more questions for this low acid topic. I am working on a HACCP for energy drinks ph are higher than 4.6 they are currently ranging from 4.8 to 5.4 so they are in the category of low acid canned foods (21 CFR 113) they are also in dietary supplements (CFR 111) because of the added salts. and they go under treatment for 5 log reduction. I believe that if you demonstrate that your treatment is good enough to control clostridium you are fine producing the beverage in that range of pH and also, they are kept refrigerated so the label has to stated they need to be kept under refrigeration. If i include all of those, i should be fine. right? i just wanted to make sure i am going in the correct path. Thank you.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users