• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 July 2022 - 06:00 PM

Hi

​I was asked a question today that I don't know the answer to - although I have given it some considerable thought!

I was asked if I knew where to buy a syringe attached to an airline to verify vacuum bags integrity checks - has anyone ever used this methodology? 

I've asked for further clarification on what she is exactly trying to achieve - am I missing something (I wonder)?

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,486 posts
  • 1511 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 05 July 2022 - 06:21 PM

twelve liftimes ago I did this

We used something very similar to this hooked up to the air iine. Punched a hole, filled the unit with air, submerged watching for air bubbles on the seal

Lumax LX-1416 Silver 18G 1-1/2" Long Stainless Steel Grease Injector Needle with Cap

I'm assuming she means to put the seals under pressure (e.g. fill the unit with air til it resembles a pillow) 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 265 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 July 2022 - 06:45 PM

I know exactly what you're wanting.  I had 2 at my last job.  Just don't know what they're called.  I'll look around and see if I can find a link to one.

I can't find one (yet)  but it looks basically like one of those syringe bulbs you get for cleaning ears, but has a longer nose end on it, with a inflator needle on the end.

Edited by Miss Frankie, 05 July 2022 - 06:53 PM.

Thanked by 1 Member:

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 852 posts
  • 291 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 05 July 2022 - 07:25 PM

I have not.   However, i have checked seals with (Not vac pack, but it is suppose to work):  Best Package Leak Detector & Seal Integrity Test Equipment (flexpakinc.com)

Sorry if this is no help.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,662 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 05 July 2022 - 10:06 PM

Yes, I have seen this in action, along with water submersion and putting soap on packaging to see if there are any bubbles.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Dee70

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:59 AM

The closest thing I've ever encountered is the needles you use to check the gases in MAP packaged products. We had to put the needle into an empty pack, and then put the contents into a machine to measure the gas mixture concentration. That was 10 years ago ... I can barely remember what the syringe looked like and it definitely wasn't attached to an airline.

Thanks all! 

VickieLew

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 9 posts
  • 11 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 July 2022 - 11:15 PM

I did testing similar to what Dee70 described, for MAP products.  You'd put a "sticky nickel" on the package, insert the needle and pull the barrel of the syringe.  But I don't remember if there was an attached airline or if the syringe content was injected into a machine.  Anyway, the machine used for the analysis was a Mocon.  The company is now called Ametek Mocon (or Mocon Ametek).  Maybe they have what you are looking for.

good luck!

Vickie

Thanked by 1 Member:

Miss Frankie

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 265 posts
  • 27 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 July 2022 - 05:08 PM

Finally found something that's very similar to what we used.
Tandem EZ Squeeze Ball Pump - A25-041 | Anthem Sports (anthem-sports.com)

I'd put the vacuum bag under water, insert the 'needle' them pump the bulb.  If there were any seal issues, bubble would emerge.

Thanked by 1 Member:

JensV

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 24 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• Belgium
    Belgium

Posted 08 July 2022 - 07:37 AM

Maybe ask the supplier of the vacuüm machine or of the bags? Chance they have it.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Evo89

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 04 March 2024 - 06:53 AM

Hey everyone! Just wanted to give a quick update - I've found a seal integrity tester that meets my needs and requirements https://www.seal-che...ntegrity-tester
If any of you are still on the lookout for a seal integrity tester, I'm more than happy to share the one I found and provide more details about its performance. Additionally, if anyone has any other recommendations or insights to share for those who might still be searching, please feel free to continue the discussion. Let's keep helping each other out! Thanks again for all your support.
Even though I've found a seal integrity tester that suits my needs, I'm still open to discussing other recommendations or insights for those who are still searching. Let's keep the conversation going and support each other in finding the best solutions!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users