Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 14 July 2022 - 04:45 AM

Currently we are manufacturing packaging materials for Non-Food uses.

Now management has decided to manufacture Food grade materials in one portion of the building. (both materials are similar, only couple of  ingredients change in Food grade).

We are doing a parturition in between Non-Food grade and Food  grade packaging manufacturing sections. also planning to have separate change room and man movement entry. 

is this arrangement sufficient to get FSSC or BRC certifications. of auditors object (as management can insist to manufacture the Food grade materials in Non-food grade section in future if there is ore order)?

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 July 2022 - 06:07 AM

I think you can justify the partitioned off area to an auditor.  One plant I worked at did pasteurization of dried herbs and powders in a walled off area of our warehouse, and on the other side of the wall we did third party storage for a separate business (same owners) of numerous nasty non-food items (from children's toys to pool cleaners).  Our facility map clearly designated the food area vs the non-food areas, and employees were trained on the difference.  There was a shared loading dock for the warehouse, but we justified it by demonstrating no food products were ever opened outside of the food treatment area.

I'm not up to speed on GFSI requirements for packaging manufacturers, but I'd say any program that applies to the building will need to encompass the entire building and not just the food-grade area.  In our plan, for example, the whole warehouse was under pest control monitoring and auditing (since getting the mice and rats to sit through a GMP training to stay out of the food area proved impossible).  We also covered the entire building with our food defense/security requirements, sanitation program had to cover the shared dock/loading area, etc.  If you can demonstrate to an auditor that the packaging can be made in compliance with the code, and that the non-food area does not pose a risk to the food-packaging, you should be able to work something out.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 14 July 2022 - 06:42 AM

(as management can insist to manufacture the Food grade materials in Non-food grade section in future if there is ore order)?

nope.  if you only certify one section of plant that will not be possible,

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Venkateshkini

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 14 July 2022 - 08:47 AM

I think you can justify the partitioned off area to an auditor.  One plant I worked at did pasteurization of dried herbs and powders in a walled off area of our warehouse, and on the other side of the wall we did third party storage for a separate business (same owners) of numerous nasty non-food items (from children's toys to pool cleaners).  Our facility map clearly designated the food area vs the non-food areas, and employees were trained on the difference.  There was a shared loading dock for the warehouse, but we justified it by demonstrating no food products were ever opened outside of the food treatment area.

I'm not up to speed on GFSI requirements for packaging manufacturers, but I'd say any program that applies to the building will need to encompass the entire building and not just the food-grade area.  In our plan, for example, the whole warehouse was under pest control monitoring and auditing (since getting the mice and rats to sit through a GMP training to stay out of the food area proved impossible).  We also covered the entire building with our food defense/security requirements, sanitation program had to cover the shared dock/loading area, etc.  If you can demonstrate to an auditor that the packaging can be made in compliance with the code, and that the non-food area does not pose a risk to the food-packaging, you should be able to work something out.

Thanks a lot. These inputs would help us a lot ..

Edited by Venkateshkini, 14 July 2022 - 08:47 AM.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users