• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• Zimbabwe
    Zimbabwe

Posted 14 July 2022 - 12:29 PM

Good Day network,

We are looking at roasting and salting macadamia nuts. May you kindly advise on the shelf life of roasted macadamia and the packaging conditions. I have seen that some players use vacuum packaging and or nitrogen flushing and would like to know if this is a requirement.

Regards,

Faith. 

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 358 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 14 July 2022 - 04:30 PM

Deciding on a packaging design must always start with a keen understanding of your product. What factors can impact the shelf life of your macadamia nuts? I would guess oxygen would be a key concern, as the nut's high fat content makes them vulnerable to rancidity. I would look for packaging materials that offer very high barriers to oxygen.

I have seen roasted nuts typically offered with a 1-year shelf life. However, it would be prudent to do a shelf life study of your own using your packaging design. Vacuum packaging and nitrogen flushing are likely not requirements, but many nut manufacturers may chose to add these steps because they promote longer shelf life. If you do not implement these steps, you likely can't expect a similar shelf life from your own product. That is why performing your own shelf life study is important: many factors unique to your operation/packaging will effect your result.

Below are some threads which also discuss shelf life:

https://www.ifsqn.co...lf-life-trials/

https://www.ifsqn.co...-of-shelf-life/

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users