Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2022 - 04:42 PM

4.5.3, "Air and other gases used as an ingredient or that are in direct contact with products shall be monitored to ensure this does not represent a contamination risk. Compressed air that is in direct contact with the product shall be filtered at point of use".

We are a wholesale grain processor / cleaner and grain milling company.  I am looking for information on how to lower the APC in air samples.  No idea on how to reduce the counts.  An help is much appreciated.

Thank you

Ben

Benjamin Wild

Quality & Safety Manger, Montana Milling, Inc.

Kara S.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 177 posts
  • 51 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2022 - 06:00 PM

Hi Ben! 

You should watch this webinar from a few weeks ago. https://www.ifsqn.co...sources-testing

This company also has a lot of articles on their website regarding air contamination.

The main way to reduce any microbial counts is cleaning. 

• Clean point of use air nozzles
  • Change all the filters for the system 
  • Maybe look for air leaks? Change the gaskets?

Kind regards, 

Kara

Food & Beverage Industry Consultant

IFSQN Business ListingLinkedIn  |  Webpage

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 August 2022 - 04:28 AM

4.5.3, "Air and other gases used as an ingredient or that are in direct contact with products shall be monitored to ensure this does not represent a contamination risk. Compressed air that is in direct contact with the product shall be filtered at point of use".

We are a wholesale grain processor / cleaner and grain milling company.  I am looking for information on how to lower the APC in air samples.  No idea on how to reduce the counts.  An help is much appreciated.

Thank you

Ben

Hi Ben,

Why do you specifically want to reduce the Counts ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Montana Milling Inc

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 August 2022 - 02:30 PM

Charles, thank you for the response.  You would want to have a low APC right?  A higher APC indicates you are high.  The issue that I am struggling with is that our compressed air only touches product on our color sorter and blown air pneumatically moves product.  I have no real test point from where I can take a blown air sample as the line is enclosed.  Plus its blowing at a very high rate.  So I took my samples at the exhaust point where the air has passed through the whole system to include our dust houses.  We are a NRTE producer and I am beginning to lean towards seeing if I can receive a exception to this clause as it just does not feel like it adds anything to our business or the safety of the product.  Grain and grain dust have a naturally present APC and I'm guessing that so long as we never go above that threshold we would be good.  But what can be done to correct it if it does occur, sanitize miles worth of air piping and steel piping?  

Benjamin Wild

Quality & Safety Manger, Montana Milling, Inc.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 853 posts
  • 291 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 August 2022 - 03:59 PM

I would get approval for the exemption in advance.   

making sure your system is clean and dry is key to maintaining or reducing microbial contamination.   You should have a decent drying system and a relatively small micron filter at point of use as the clause states.  

i agree testing where you are is not going to work.  If you cant get to the actually reject nozzles, can you have a port added between the filter and the manifold?   

There are sponsors on IFSQN that do air testing.   they may be able to help.   however, I have a facility in your area and struggled due to location.  I have also used the following:  CAMTU Compressed Air Microbial Test Unit (nelsonjameson.com)

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

amjohnson900

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Air Filtration
    Food Safety
    Product Quality
    Safety Protocols

Posted 26 September 2022 - 05:34 PM

Hi Ben,

I've reviewed the posts, and if you are open to a discussion. I'd like to share a potential solution of an air filtration solution that is placed at/near the area of concern to help with the airborne dust?

My contact details are below and would be happy to host a 30 minute call to walk through the issue.

Thank you,

Andrea

LInkedIn

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 September 2022 - 05:16 AM

Charles, thank you for the response.  You would want to have a low APC right?  A higher APC indicates you are high.  The issue that I am struggling with is that our compressed air only touches product on our color sorter and blown air pneumatically moves product.  I have no real test point from where I can take a blown air sample as the line is enclosed.  Plus its blowing at a very high rate.  So I took my samples at the exhaust point where the air has passed through the whole system to include our dust houses.  We are a NRTE producer and I am beginning to lean towards seeing if I can receive a exception to this clause as it just does not feel like it adds anything to our business or the safety of the product.  Grain and grain dust have a naturally present APC and I'm guessing that so long as we never go above that threshold we would be good.  But what can be done to correct it if it does occur, sanitize miles worth of air piping and steel piping?  

Hi Ben,

Apologies that I completely missed Posts 4,5.

Frankly, IMO, it all depends on the Sampling and the Numbers. Looks like you need a Sampling Point for genuine data but assuming yr results represent a worst case, how good/bad are they ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users