Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 17 August 2022 - 08:45 AM

Our company produces poppy seed filling.

And we do not know which group our product belongs to. Since the poppy seed filling is not:

(A) all the ground and shredded poppy seeds placed on the market destined for the final consumer

And isn't it?

B) bakery products containing poppy seeds or products derived thereof?

Our product is ultimately sold to the bakery, not for direct consumption.

Our supplier said that this recipe is not compliant then because it does not also supply (sell) poppy seeds for direct consumption?

Please help me

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 August 2022 - 10:18 AM

Hi Alutka,

NVM I just saw it in the title.

I looked into the regulation, you should look all the way at the bottom of the regulation:

(***) The food business operator supplying the poppy seeds to the food business operator manufacturing the bakery products shall provide the necessary information to enable the manufacturer of the bakery products to place products on the market that comply with the maximum level. This information shall include analytical data, where appropriate.’

You are neither of the categories in the list, because you are the supplier. So there are ''no limits'' for your product. However you should provide decent information to your customers so that they can validate whether or not their end-product is within limits.
I believe this is because opium alkaloids can be decreased during processing, so the bakeries can potentially remove some during their baking process. However is it up to them to validate.

And your client can off course still set limits.

Edited by Simon, 17 August 2022 - 04:03 PM.

Alutka_120

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 17 August 2022 - 10:27 AM

Commision regulation (EU) 2021/2142 of December 2021 amending Regulation EC No 1881/2006 as regards the maximum limits the levels of opium alkaloids in food

Alutka_120

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 17 August 2022 - 10:33 AM

thank you very much.So I have to understand ... that both we and our supplier .. are not to have the required limits. We only have to inform our suppliers what limits are we going to reach?

Marloes

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 284 posts
  • 76 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 August 2022 - 12:18 PM

thank you very much.So I have to understand ... that both we and our supplier .. are not to have the required limits. We only have to inform our suppliers what limits are we going to reach?

Yes! That is what I am getting from the regulatory text.

Alutka_120

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Poland
    Poland

Posted 17 August 2022 - 12:21 PM

Thanks you

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic