• Quick Navigation
Photo

Will my employers recertification be contingent upon me having to take HACCP formal coursework and testing?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Elizabeth777

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 August 2022 - 06:17 AM

Hello.  I have been working in the food manufacturing sector for three years as an administrative/executive assistant.  I am here to learn from the resources and the experienced food industry professionals. I have no prior experience in this industry or education in any related subjects.  During the course of my current position I have been delegated administrative detail for the company's SQF program.  I am called the alternate.  During this year's audit the auditor commented that I need formal training.  I am aware of signifant gaps in my understanding of the SQF/GFSI.  Some of the material is difficult for me to fully grasp, like risk analysis.  My question is, will my employer's recertification be contingent upon me having to take HACCP formal coursework and testing?  I can manage the monthly program reviews and reports and forms I review.  I cannot write complete plans and risk analysis.  I also have difficulty after a point with SQF Guide Documents.  

Edited by Elizabeth777, 17 August 2022 - 06:18 AM.

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 366 posts
  • 87 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 17 August 2022 - 12:12 PM

I believe due to your lack of knowledge of the SQF code and your company listing you as the alternate, that is why your company was called out on this during the audit.  Per the code, both the primary and secondary designated SQF Practitioners need to have completed a HACCP course.  If you have not completed one, then you need to take one.  Many options out there both in class and on-line.  You also have to show you have an understanding of the code and the requirements to implement and maintain the SQF system.  Given that you said you are having some trouble understanding some of the code, I would suggest taking an Implementing SQF course as well as that will help.  Start with HACCP.  See if that helps clear things up for you and makes the code make sense.  If not, then looking into an SQF course.

Thanked by 1 Member:

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 17 August 2022 - 04:42 PM

Elizabeth...

As a former SQF Auditor turned into an SQF Consultant I concur fully with what Scotty has said above.

And would add... For me as an SQF Auditor it didn't happen often but it did happen that either the primary and/or backup (what you call alternate) SQF Practitioner's were inadequate in their responsibilites and understanding of the SQF program.

Depending on the situation at the time of audit a finding in this area would normally result in a major mark off and at that time if it was for recert - the company already being certified I imagine it may have been noted by the auditor as a minor for your company but an issue that would need to be addressed immediately in the corrective action response that your company must respond to - if not properly corrected and solution accepted by CB/Auditor within the time frame allowed for corrections yes it will have impact on the recert.

On the other hand it is not unlikely for a kind auditor to give you a pass (this time around) by saying it verbally but not reporting it - a free pass like this must still be acted on quickly because a get out of jail card won't happen the second time.

In your case I am 100% certain your senior management/owners, HR and even the Primary SQFP have been derelict in their duties and responsibilities to you in this role.

You'll need to look at yourself as an SQF Practitioner and not as an alternate and demand (yes, demand) the training and resources that you need in order to be that role.

Of course I am bias but I think you should consider having an SQF Consultant come in or remotely to walk you step by step thru the entire program, answer question and provide ongoing guides.

You can do this Elizabeth but your company must be on board to help you, it is not right for senior management to toss a warm body in without the nesasary tools to help you become a great SQFP back-up.

Best to you, you can do this!

Possible typos. I'm in a hospital bed (recovery) typing this.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 2 Members:

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 825 posts
  • 284 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 17 August 2022 - 05:57 PM

My question is, will my employer's recertification be contingent upon me having to take HACCP formal coursework and testing? 

if it was a recorded as a finding on the audit, they will have to develop a corrective action to ensure you have the proper training, knowledge, experience.  The plan to get you up to speed must be approved by the auditor and CB.  

If it was not noted on the audit, then it will not affect certification at this time.   It will come up again and become an issue.   It needs to be addressed.  

i pretty much agree with Glenn.  "In your case I am 100% certain your senior management/owners, HR and even the Primary SQFP have been derelict in their duties and responsibilities to you in this role."   

&

"You can do this Elizabeth but your company must be on board to help you, it is not right for senior management to toss a warm body in without the nesasary tools to help you become a great SQFP back-up."

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Elizabeth777

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 17 August 2022 - 10:40 PM   Best Answer

Scotty-SQF
SQF CONSULTANT-IFSQN Fellow
kingstudruler1

To all:  Many thanks for the direct, clear and honest answers.  This is exactly what I need.  I have raised my concerns again with my employer and requested we have a formal discussion on how they plan to resolve the matter.  I want to listen to what they say and then decide the next steps I will take.  Your recommendations have clarified what the path s h o u l d be. 

Sending an extra thank you to IFSQN Fellow for taking time out during recuperation in hosptial.  Best wishes for your speedy recovery.

Elizabeth777

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 17 August 2022 - 11:47 PM

Oh gee, you got me teared up - thank you!

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Elizabeth777

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 August 2022 - 03:39 PM

Here is an update.  I decided to enroll in a Basic HACCP training course on my own intiative.  The courses are given by the certifying body the company currently uses.  The company supports this move.  I'm 2/3 through and so far it's been enjoyable as well as informative.  I did not realize how much I learned along the way.  I'm also planning on taking the Food Safety Culture course after busy season ends.  With these credentials I can move forward in many ways.  Thanks again.

YNA QA

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 97 posts
  • 17 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Crochet, Reading, Animals, Football

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:20 PM

Here is an update.  I decided to enroll in a Basic HACCP training course on my own intiative.  The courses are given by the certifying body the company currently uses.  The company supports this move.  I'm 2/3 through and so far it's been enjoyable as well as informative.  I did not realize how much I learned along the way.  I'm also planning on taking the Food Safety Culture course after busy season ends.  With these credentials I can move forward in many ways.  Thanks again.

Good on you for taking the initiative to take these courses.  HACCP can be daunting, but the courses will help tremendously.

Also try looking into subscribing to free Food Safety webinars given by SQFI, FDA, and your own or other auditing bodies (found on the SQFI website).

These free webinars are amazing resources that can help further broaden your Food Safety knowledge!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users