• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 September 2022 - 10:03 AM

Hi all,

Does anyone handle celery at their site and how do you validate your cleaning?

I wanted to use the rapid test for verify the clean, then send a lab test to validate the clean and in turn also validates the rapid test. Our product is very short shelf life (max 4 days) so by the time the lab test comes back it would be out of spec. I can't find any specific rapid tests for celery online either, unless I'm just not searching for the right product...?

As I understand it, the validation goes something like this: swab pre-clean on key points then swab same points post clean. Send finished product post clean.

Thanks in advance.

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,068 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 21 September 2022 - 11:41 AM

Not sure how other did it but when we processed celery - we did a validation study at the beginning/when we started processing celery then verified daily. So our vegetable cleaning process was validated by sending out samples to the lab (pre and post cleaning). We then verified it daily that the proper procedures were being followed. We also did environmental swabbing in that area too.

INTer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 September 2022 - 11:59 AM

Not sure how other did it but when we processed celery - we did a validation study at the beginning/when we started processing celery then verified daily. So our vegetable cleaning process was validated by sending out samples to the lab (pre and post cleaning). We then verified it daily that the proper procedures were being followed. We also did environmental swabbing in that area too.

Yes, but how did you complete your validation study? Did you do on the line cleaning verifications via swabs? If so, could you let me know where you sourced yours so I can take a look?

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,068 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 21 September 2022 - 02:05 PM

Yes, but how did you complete your validation study? Did you do on the line cleaning verifications via swabs? If so, could you let me know where you sourced yours so I can take a look?

We did a validation study with product sampling. So pre-wash and post-wash APC testing. We used an antimicrobial wash. https://www.ecolab.c...ls-food-contact

There are other antimicrobial washes out there besides this. We also tested our products for pathogens too as part of the validation.

Side note: you'll never/rarely achieve a 5 log reduction with the produce washes.

Verification - As part of our environmental monitoring program - we took swabs testing for listeria on the lines and sent to a 3rd party lab. This was done weekly.

Also verified the antimicrobial water was at the right concentration and soaked properly. Done at least 2/3 days daily.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 September 2022 - 01:46 AM

Hi all,

Does anyone handle celery at their site and how do you validate your cleaning?

I wanted to use the rapid test for verify the clean, then send a lab test to validate the clean and in turn also validates the rapid test. Our product is very short shelf life (max 4 days) so by the time the lab test comes back it would be out of spec. I can't find any specific rapid tests for celery online either, unless I'm just not searching for the right product...?

As I understand it, the validation goes something like this: swab pre-clean on key points then swab same points post clean. Send finished product post clean.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Inter,

It's unclear whether you are referring to "cleaning" the environment or the celery ?

I assume the celery.

From a HACCP POV I would have thought absence (non-detection) of pathogen XYZ  within the celery  after "cleaning" would be a logical satisfaction criterion  if  presence of XYZ was the (hazard) reason for the "cleaning".

Not sure about specific product testing but IIRC 24 hr micro.results are now possible for APC and certain pathogens. Various previous threads on this Forum detail

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

INTer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 October 2022 - 03:09 PM

Just in case anyone comes across this looking for answers, our customer accepted the validation work as such:

We tested before and after cleaning, swabbing key points in the process and testing the finished product made on the same line after the cleans were done. We swabbed for generic allergenic proteins afterwards - we went with a generic test instead of a specific allergen swab because celery was the only allergen handled on site. If you are looking to do an allergen cleaning validation on a site with multiple allergens being handled on the same line, it's advised that you use swabs that tests for a specific allergen.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 November 2022 - 03:43 PM

Just in case anyone comes across this looking for answers, our customer accepted the validation work as such:

We tested before and after cleaning, swabbing key points in the process and testing the finished product made on the same line after the cleans were done. We swabbed for generic allergenic proteins afterwards - we went with a generic test instead of a specific allergen swab because celery was the only allergen handled on site. If you are looking to do an allergen cleaning validation on a site with multiple allergens being handled on the same line, it's advised that you use swabs that tests for a specific allergen.

Hi inter,

Perhaps you misinterpreted/misstated your own OP.

Cleaning validation was requested, eg micro data, not allergenic cleaning validation.

And if only one product, allergen cleaning validation is surely superfluous ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

INTer

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 November 2022 - 03:45 PM

Hi inter,

Perhaps you misinterpreted/misstated your own OP.

Cleaning validation was requested, eg micro data, not allergenic cleaning validation.

Yes my bad, I was looking for allergen cleaning validations. I will definitely proof read before I post!!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users