• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:27 AM

Dear all, 

Recently, I am setting up supplier evaluation sop/procedure for a food manufacturing plant-produce semi-processed cooked food & RTE products, I am facing difficulties to define the criterial for management to  approve/reject the vendor from internal vendor list. Any suggestions?

As for now, i am plan to include on-site audit for those high risk ingredient; however, i also confuse to determine the categories(high, medium, low) of different vendors. Some more, I was advised to indicate a scientific approach when i am classifying the risk of my suppliers@@. Please help!

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 25 September 2022 - 04:01 AM

Hi qling,

Welcome to the IFSQN forums

INTERNATIONAL ISO STANDARD ISO 22000:2018 Food safety management systems — Requirements for any organization in the food chain states the following:

8.2 Prerequisite programmes (PRPs)

8.2.3 When selecting and/or establishing PRP(s), the organization shall ensure that applicable statutory, regulatory and mutually agreed customer requirements are identified. The organization should consider:

a) the applicable part of the ISO/TS 22002 series;

8.2.4 When establishing PRP(s) the organization shall consider:

f) supplier approval and assurance processes (e.g. raw materials, ingredients, chemicals and packaging);

TECHNICAL ISO/TS SPECIFICATION 22002-1 Prerequisite programmes on food safety —

Part 1: Food manufacturing states the following:

9.2 Selection and management of suppliers

There shall be a defined process for the selection, approval and monitoring of suppliers. The process used shall be justified by hazard assessment, including the potential risk to the final product, and shall include:

a) assessment of the supplier’s ability to meet quality and food safety expectations, requirements and specifications;

b) description of how suppliers are assessed;

NOTE Examples of a description of how suppliers are assessed include:

1) audit of the supplying site prior to accepting materials for production;

2) appropriate third party certification.

c) monitoring the performance of the supplier to assure continued approval status.

NOTE

Monitoring includes conformity with material or product specifications, fulfilment of COA requirements, satisfactory audit outcomes.

You can initially categorise the risk presented by your suppliers by the nature of the material/service provided.

Score   Supplier Category Rating       

5          Final Ingredient/Contract Packer      

4          Raw Ingredient/High Risk Service     

3          Contact Packaging     

2          Non-Contact Packaging         

1          Low Risk Service        

A documented risk analysis should be carried out by the Food Safety Team for each raw material (or group of raw materials)/product/service to identify potential risks to product safety, integrity, legality and quality taking into account the potential for:

- Microbiological contamination

- Chemical contamination

- Physical contamination

- Allergens and possible allergen contamination

- Possible substitution or fraud

- Effect on product quality

The assessment should identify the significance and severity of the risk.

Consideration should also be given to the significance of a material to the quality of the final product. The results of the risk analysis should dictate the criteria for supplier assurance, testing and acceptance of raw materials and procedures for supplier monitoring.

Kind regards,

Tony

Edited by Tony-C, 25 September 2022 - 04:02 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 September 2022 - 07:11 AM

Dear all, 

Recently, I am setting up supplier evaluation sop/procedure for a food manufacturing plant-produce semi-processed cooked food & RTE products, I am facing difficulties to define the criterial for management to  approve/reject the vendor from internal vendor list. Any suggestions?

As for now, i am plan to include on-site audit for those high risk ingredient; however, i also confuse to determine the categories(high, medium, low) of different vendors. Some more, I was advised to indicate a scientific approach when i am classifying the risk of my suppliers@@. Please help!

Hi qling,

As indicated in previous Post, Risk Ratings are a (often Complex) Composite of several variables.

Just as one example can see this Procedure -

Attached File  Food Supplier Approval and Rating Program.pdf   286.99KB   465 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

qling

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 28 September 2022 - 09:25 AM

Hi Tony, thanks for the suggestion, will working out by using the information that you provided as a reference. 

qling

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia

Posted 28 September 2022 - 02:03 PM

Hi qling,

As indicated in previous Post, Risk Ratings are a (often Complex) Composite of several variables.

Just as one example can see this Procedure -

attachicon.gif Food Supplier Approval and Rating Program.pdf

Hi Charles, thanks for the examples! appreciated it!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users