Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:45 AM

As per CFR title 21, part 189 about Prohibited Substances for use in Food, there is a list of 17 substances that are prohibited in food. Does anyone know if there is any laboratory in the US can do the testing for them? We don't use those in our products but are worried that there may be residues from other ingredients and in-direct contact. 

Some of the substances in the list are: calamus, cinnamyl anthranilate, coumarin, cobaltous salts, cyclamate, Diethylpyrocarbonate (DEPC), Dulcin, Monochloroacetic acid, Nordihydroguaiaretic acid (NDGA), P-4000, Safrole, Thiourea, Chlorofluorocarbon, Flectol H., Mercaptoimidazoline and 2-mercaptoimidazoline, 4,4-Methylenebis (2-chloroanaline), Hydrogenated 4,4-isopropylidenediphenolphosphite ester resins...

Brendan Triplett

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 511 posts
  • 131 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Rugby, Military History, Reading

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:28 AM

Good morning,

I found a few but I cannot attest to how good they are since I do not have experience with this process.  I would recommend searching "food testing for prohibited substances."  Here is a program that I found pretty quickly on the search:

CTI - China's leading TIC SERVICE PROVIDER (cti-cert.com)

Since the list of restricted substances is governed by USDA you can always send the question to AskFSIS.  That is probably the route that I would take.

askFSIS | Food Safety and Inspection Service (usda.gov)

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Vice President and SQF Practitioner in Pennsylvania
Brendan Triplett

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users