• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 October 2022 - 11:33 PM

Hello all,

Currently we do manual hourly checks of free chlorine PPM, but we are considering doing the checks every two hours instead as our washers are automatic and display the information all the time in their screen. 

Our QA techs manually confirm the PPM with their chlorine testing machines, every hour. But we would like to have this manual check done very two hours instead. I am barely starting to analyze this and would like to know if any of you have done something similar.

we are a fresh produce facility. 

thank you in advance!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 October 2022 - 05:06 AM

Hello all,

Currently we do manual hourly checks of free chlorine PPM, but we are considering doing the checks every two hours instead as our washers are automatic and display the information all the time in their screen. 

Our QA techs manually confirm the PPM with their chlorine testing machines, every hour. But we would like to have this manual check done very two hours instead. I am barely starting to analyze this and would like to know if any of you have done something similar.

we are a fresh produce facility. 

thank you in advance!

Hi anfrias,

From a statistical POV, it simply relates to how much variation exists in the hourly data and what target/level of accuracy you actually require.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

hello.fizz

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 73 posts
  • 10 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 20 October 2022 - 08:29 AM

I would suggest two questions for you to consider:

• is the display reading the same as the manual checks?
  • could someone still check the display hourly to note variations? 
  • could you have an alarm if the digital reading falls below a certain ppm? 

As long as any non conforming product could be picked up and isolated, I think a less frequent manual check could be justified. I have seen an instance where the ppm at a fresh produce facility dropped, was not properly recorded, that product was selected for random testing, salmonella detected, recall required. The corrective action was more frequent checks of the digital display, an alarm if it dropped below a certain ppm and refresher training for staff on the actions to take if the ppm is too low.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 October 2022 - 08:34 AM

Another option would be to use self-adjusting (feedback) Cl2 injectors if the variations are significant. Such units are used on facility water supplies.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users