Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 October 2022 - 03:46 PM

Hello! I hope this is the right section for this.

For our thermometer calibration / verification, I like to give an ID to all the probe thermometers we use in our facility. All of our thermometers are the same model so it would be hard to distinguish them without ID'ing them. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for labeling the probe thermometers. Here's what I've done in the past but these never seemed like the perfect solution (as they are used directly over large batches of food). Labeled with sharpie - easily comes off during regular cleaning of thermometer. Small Dymo label on thermometer - seems like an issue because sometimes the label falls off and wouldn't want it to fall into a batch. Dremel etching ID into thermometer - etching something into the smooth surface creates notch that's hard to clean and might harbor pathogens.

Am I overthinking this? Not a huge problem we run into but in my 8 or so years I just haven't thought of anything better.

Thanks

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,508 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 October 2022 - 03:55 PM   Best Answer

Over thinking

Etch them as you've done before

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Thanked by 1 Member:

JoeGreek

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 October 2022 - 03:59 PM

Over thinking

Etch them as you've done before

Thanks, Scampi. By the way, your other posts on acidified foods have helped me a lot over the past year since switching from the baking industry.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 October 2022 - 06:32 PM

Assuming these thermometers are fixed in the process, can you label them at the point where they connect vs labeling them on the probe itself?  I was QA for a sterilization company, we used large heat chambers to treat product.  Probes were attached to the inside of the containers to link to the computers, data for each could be graphed.  I ended up labeling them at that plug in point so auditors could easily check our treatment records and then find where that probe was located on the chambers.  I had similar concerns about labeling and etching the probes themselves, not to mention the probes would go out a few times a year and get replaced by maintenance.

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 27 October 2022 - 06:42 PM

There are some electrochemical treatments that would allow you to add print or symbols to stainless casings, but physical etching is a lot less problematic. 

Hopefully the protocol for using them includes some sanitizing that will help prevent biofilm or other contamination.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 October 2022 - 07:34 PM

Hello! I hope this is the right section for this.

For our thermometer calibration / verification, I like to give an ID to all the probe thermometers we use in our facility. All of our thermometers are the same model so it would be hard to distinguish them without ID'ing them. I was wondering if anybody had any ideas for labeling the probe thermometers. Here's what I've done in the past but these never seemed like the perfect solution (as they are used directly over large batches of food). Labeled with sharpie - easily comes off during regular cleaning of thermometer. Small Dymo label on thermometer - seems like an issue because sometimes the label falls off and wouldn't want it to fall into a batch. Dremel etching ID into thermometer - etching something into the smooth surface creates notch that's hard to clean and might harbor pathogens.

Am I overthinking this? Not a huge problem we run into but in my 8 or so years I just haven't thought of anything better.

Thanks

Hi Joe,

Might have helped if you had informed what type, shape of thermometer (and separatable probe ?) required to be labelled.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

JoeGreek

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 27 October 2022 - 07:53 PM

Hi Joe,

Might have helped if you had informed what type, shape of thermometer (and separatable probe ?) required to be labelled.

We're using handheld Thermapen ONE thermometers where the probe unfolds. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 October 2022 - 08:02 PM

We're using handheld Thermapen ONE thermometers where the probe unfolds. 

Hi Joe,

Thks feedback. I guess you mean something like this -

Attached File  thermapen.PNG   12.96KB   0 downloads

Does look maybe tricky although IMEX only the probe gets cleaned in which case tape/tag can work.

Calibration at 100degC looks a bit awkward :smile:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,668 posts
  • 1140 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 27 October 2022 - 09:17 PM

You can use a laser etcher that can etch in several different colors - white on black, blacknon white etc.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: thermometers

0 user(s) are reading this topic