weweng0930

Grade - Active

• 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 November 2022 - 05:07 PM

Hi, i worked in a compant that do hot boning (cutitng the carcass immediately after slaughter and dressing) and then vacuum packed. we were told that we are at risk for clostridium botulinum due to product temperature during packing. does anyone know how to actually confirm that we are not at risk at all. thanks. 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,070 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 01 November 2022 - 05:21 PM

https://www.meatinst...tAction/i/50960

The main purpose of this article is CO in meat packaging. However it does discuss botulism in all meat packaging items.

Edited by kfromNE, 01 November 2022 - 05:22 PM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 01 November 2022 - 06:05 PM

Hi, i worked in a compant that do hot boning (cutitng the carcass immediately after slaughter and dressing) and then vacuum packed. we were told that we are at risk for clostridium botulinum due to product temperature during packing. does anyone know how to actually confirm that we are not at risk at all. thanks. 

Hi weweng,

This article supports enabling safe vac.packing but includes caveats with respect to temperature and shelf life.

Attached File  C.botulinum in vac.pack fresh beef,etc.pdf   321.76KB   9 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,496 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 November 2022 - 07:01 PM

CFIA allows you to pack prior to chilling?  That doesn't sound right to me

To satisfy CFIA (and yourself) you need to perform a validation   it will be similar to shelf life testing, where by the sealed cuts will be stored in a lab under controlled conditions, and tested for Cbot over a period of time (whatever you have set your shelf life by) 

depending on the results you get back, you would then put that into a validation study summary, ideally you'd repeat that testing more than once to confirm the results

Buuuuuuuuuuut you may not win this one with CFIA

E. Chilling

The licence holder must ensure that the refrigeration and chilling procedures are carried out in accordance with the guidance documents and regulatory requirements.

To meet the performance criteria the licence holder must demonstrate the following:

• refrigeration of carcasses must begin promptly after the end of carcass dressing and product must be cooled as quickly as possible
  • for carcasses and cuts (primary cuts, sub-primary cuts, cuts and trims), the operator shall ensure and demonstrate in an ongoing manner that they are achieving compliance with cooling performance standards
  • carcass parts can be cooled in potable water, air chilled, packaged immediately after harvest or after partial chilling and blast frozen on site or in a remote location shortly after harvest
  • using carbon dioxide in the packaging, or chilling individually vacuum packed offal in brine tunnels are also acceptable options
  • the cooling of the carcass part is continuous at the level of its surface of concern
  • product temperature requirements must be met at the time of shipping

https://inspection.c...0834?gf#1.1bc_5

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

weweng0930

Grade - Active

• 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 November 2022 - 08:12 PM

To satisfy CFIA (and yourself) you need to perform a validation   it will be similar to shelf life testing, where by the sealed cuts will be stored in a lab under controlled conditions, and tested for Cbot over a period of time (whatever you have set your shelf life by) 

depending on the results you get back, you would then put that into a validation study summary, ideally you'd repeat that testing more than once to confirm the results

E. Chilling

The licence holder must ensure that the refrigeration and chilling procedures are carried out in accordance with the guidance documents and regulatory requirements.

To meet the performance criteria the licence holder must demonstrate the following:

• refrigeration of carcasses must begin promptly after the end of carcass dressing and product must be cooled as quickly as possible
  • for carcasses and cuts (primary cuts, sub-primary cuts, cuts and trims), the operator shall ensure and demonstrate in an ongoing manner that they are achieving compliance with cooling performance standards
  • carcass parts can be cooled in potable water, air chilled, packaged immediately after harvest or after partial chilling and blast frozen on site or in a remote location shortly after harvest
  • using carbon dioxide in the packaging, or chilling individually vacuum packed offal in brine tunnels are also acceptable options
  • the cooling of the carcass part is continuous at the level of its surface of concern

Hi Scampi, we are not fighting with CFIA at all. we've got nice CFIA people helping us with this one. and we understand that a validation is required however australia and NZ where they do hot boning all the time do not even consider it as a risk for them. and were told that because the presence of e.coli on our product is a definite indicator of a c.bot contamination. one scientist we talked laughed it off. we are looking for an alternative way aside from challenge testing. 

thank you though

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,496 posts
  • 1514 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 01 November 2022 - 08:27 PM

You'll have to do challenge testing

This is a national program thing, but it can be done!  I did it for quail to prove we could pack and then chill.  I stood in the blast freezer for a month taking little bird temperatures, and in the end, was granted permission, but it had to come from national programs, not with my VIC or regional VIC

Have you tried reaching out the programs in NZ or Australia?    They may be willing to share

I unfortunately can believe that someone thinks that e coli is an indicator for Cbot lol

PM me, I may have someone at ag canada that could help 

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

whateva

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 14 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 November 2022 - 06:15 PM

Are you a provincial plant or federal plant? Who's your end user? Either way, I agree, there should be at least a one CCP (are you cooling it after it's vacuum packed?) step before you package the cut meat. Need to do a validation study of the packaged meat, some universities/laboratories will offer services 

Just my thoughts.

E. Chilling

Edited by whateva, 02 November 2022 - 06:17 PM.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clostridium botulinum, vacuum packed, hot boning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users