• Quick Navigation
Photo

Should Metal detector be an OPRP or CCP?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

JolynNg

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Singapore
    Singapore

Posted 15 November 2022 - 10:44 AM

Dear Experts,

I would like to seek your advice.

My company manufactures powder food ingredients (colourings/ flavourings). All raw materials passed through the vibrating siever, which we determines as the CCP.
After the sieving process, the materials are blended in the ribbon blender and then pass through the Magnet separator (OPRP), filled and packed into HDPE bags in carton boxes.
We have recently incorporated the metal detector in the final step, before palletizing the products.

Can you kindly advise if the metal detector should be categorized as CCP or OPRP?
We already have a CCP and an OPRP step in the process. Hence, I am not sure if it is an overkill to have so many OPRP and CCP in a process.

Thanks!

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 15 November 2022 - 01:35 PM

With the information provided and without knowing and seeing your process I have some questions to ask that may help.  Your current CCP, the siever, what are you looking to get out?  Foreign material or specifically metal? The other thing to consider is that you stated the metal detector is the final step before palletization.  To me, that is the final step in the process you have to control the hazard.  That should hopefully lead you to your answer.  

Now that you have added the metal detector, do a reassessment and now reassess the risks and the different points following the steps of HACCP.  By doing this with your team, you should be able to decide your OPRP's and your CCP's.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 15 November 2022 - 04:09 PM

Dear Experts,

I would like to seek your advice.

My company manufactures powder food ingredients (colourings/ flavourings). All raw materials passed through the vibrating siever, which we determines as the CCP.
After the sieving process, the materials are blended in the ribbon blender and then pass through the Magnet separator (OPRP), filled and packed into HDPE bags in carton boxes.
We have recently incorporated the metal detector in the final step, before palletizing the products.

Can you kindly advise if the metal detector should be categorized as CCP or OPRP?
We already have a CCP and an OPRP step in the process. Hence, I am not sure if it is an overkill to have so many OPRP and CCP in a process.

Thanks!

Hi JolynNg,

Yr query looks remarkably similar to this recent OP -

https://www.ifsqn.co...rp/#entry190511

I anticipate many of the previous comments will apply, particularly those due to the, IMO, questionable FSSC Guidance material.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Venkateshkini

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 37 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 16 November 2022 - 04:28 AM

Based your explanation i feel the metal detector at the end of the line shall be considered as CCP. beacuse after seiving there are few steps / processes may contaminate your product and metal detector at the end will remove contaminants. Also you dont have any other steps after metal detector to remove metal contaminants.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 16 November 2022 - 05:26 AM

Based your explanation i feel the metal detector at the end of the line shall be considered as CCP. beacuse after seiving there are few steps / processes may contaminate your product and metal detector at the end will remove contaminants. Also you dont have any other steps after metal detector to remove metal contaminants.

Hi Venkateshkini,

I don't necessarily disagree with you but note that decision making in iso-haccp/FSSC is not the same as for Codex haccp. Therein lies a long, long, probably endless story. :crybaby:

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users