• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 December 2022 - 03:20 PM

Hello everyone, 

I'm hoping someone has an answer for me. 

So, we have had many complaints about our supplier for smocks and towels. Our employees have found pieces of metal, hair, dirty towels, among other things and we have complained to our supplier multiple times without even getting a response. Now, I know that the most obvious answer is to change suppliers right? But the company is small and senior management cannot for one reason or another (they're in a contract). They have asked me if there is any sort of agency that we can send these types of complaints too (no response, not upholding quality and safety standards) so that something gets done about it. I told them that I did not know but change of supplier would be the best way to deal with this problem. 

Does anyone know if there is somewhere or someone we can complain to about these types of issues and not just for towels but for other things as well?

Thank you in advance. 

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,493 posts
  • 1512 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 December 2022 - 03:29 PM

I would contact a lawyer as it appears to be breach of contract   

you could also reach out to the better business bureau     and/or whichever branch of government issues their business license 

they knew what was required? was it in writing?  

Did you receive any sort of letter of guarantee about the condition of these items?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 02 December 2022 - 03:46 PM

Can you complain to FDA? Laundry company is supposed to have some sort of HACCP program as they supply food industry, and poorly cleaned items might contaminate food. Consequently, there's a potential threat to public health due to their negligence to obligations. 

Brothbro

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 115 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Aimlessly browsing the internet

Posted 02 December 2022 - 04:32 PM

I think both Scampi and Olenazh have good suggestions, but scampi's may produce quicker results. The FDA may take months before they even read your complaint! The contract that you're engaged in, however, likely stipulates some quality guarantees from the towel supplier. A lawyer should be able to jump on an issue like this, provided with some evidence. 

I would suggest collecting some contaminated towels as evidence, to develop a case on this supplier. A lawyer would have good advice on how to prepare as well. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 02 December 2022 - 04:45 PM

When collecting contaminated towels/smocks, don't forget to do it the way it would look evidently enough: say, take pictures of a delivery truck, then - a bag with items, then how you open a bag, then how you take out soiled towels, etc. Otherwise, the laundry company may say you've soiled those towels yourself.

Thanked by 1 Member:

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 635 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 December 2022 - 05:26 PM

Can't help but agree with all of the above.  Solid points being made, I'd be raising wholly hell over such complaints.  I'd start by attaching all of the previous complaints onto a new email and demanding a meeting with either the sales rep or management of the supplier to address your complaints.  If that remains ignored, and your contracts are written the way I expect, it might be time to involve the company lawyer and get a new supplier who can fulfill their promises and guarantees.

Thanked by 1 Member:

QAKat

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 88 posts
  • 8 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 December 2022 - 10:01 PM

I would contact a lawyer as it appears to be breach of contract   

you could also reach out to the better business bureau     and/or whichever branch of government issues their business license 

they knew what was required? was it in writing?  

Did you receive any sort of letter of guarantee about the condition of these items?

Can you complain to FDA? Laundry company is supposed to have some sort of HACCP program as they supply food industry, and poorly cleaned items might contaminate food. Consequently, there's a potential threat to public health due to their negligence to obligations. 

I think both Scampi and Olenazh have good suggestions, but scampi's may produce quicker results. The FDA may take months before they even read your complaint! The contract that you're engaged in, however, likely stipulates some quality guarantees from the towel supplier. A lawyer should be able to jump on an issue like this, provided with some evidence. 

I would suggest collecting some contaminated towels as evidence, to develop a case on this supplier. A lawyer would have good advice on how to prepare as well. 

Can't help but agree with all of the above.  Solid points being made, I'd be raising wholly hell over such complaints.  I'd start by attaching all of the previous complaints onto a new email and demanding a meeting with either the sales rep or management of the supplier to address your complaints.  If that remains ignored, and your contracts are written the way I expect, it might be time to involve the company lawyer and get a new supplier who can fulfill their promises and guarantees.

When collecting contaminated towels/smocks, don't forget to do it the way it would look evidently enough: say, take pictures of a delivery truck, then - a bag with items, then how you open a bag, then how you take out soiled towels, etc. Otherwise, the laundry company may say you've soiled those towels yourself.

Hi all! 

Thank you Scampi and everyone else. I will deff be contacting the better business bureau.

So senior management will be going to court as the issue between the supplier and us got worse, not just with the towels but with invoices and so on. We do have a contract and they have breached it several times as it states that they will supply us with clean smocks and towels. Since the incidents started happening we took pictures and have the emails as well so that should help. We also advised all employees who use these towels to check them and take pictures or put the towels aside if they found anything. For the smocks the same thing. The company representatives also came several times as my senior management wanted to deal with this without involving the lawyers, but all they would say was that it wasn't going to happen again and when it did and we complained we would get no response. 

Have an amazing week and Happy Holidays to you all  :x_biggrin:  :santa:  :x_biggrin:

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 08 December 2022 - 07:46 PM

Immediate action would be contact your secondary supplier and have them send you something you can actually use in production. Then call and cancel all future orders form your existing supplier. They will take notice then and, since contracts are two sided, you will not be in breach of contract as their contractual obligation is to supply you with an acceptable product which they are not. After that, if they refuse to supply adequate product, report them to one of the above mentioned agencies. At least you'll be giving them the opportunity to make good on their agreement to you.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users