• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 03 December 2022 - 07:24 PM

Hello all,

We recently had a visit from a customer to our plant, and they suggested we test for SPC after the production line has started to run for 3 hours. I was wondering if your companies also test after running and what the acceptable limit would be in this situation.

currently our SPC limit right after washing is below 100 CFU/ml

I appreciate your help!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 05 December 2022 - 06:26 AM

Hello all,

We recently had a visit from a customer to our plant, and they suggested we test for SPC after the production line has started to run for 3 hours. I was wondering if your companies also test after running and what the acceptable limit would be in this situation.

currently our SPC limit right after washing is below 100 CFU/ml

I appreciate your help!

Hi anfrias,

Need more context to give meaningful comments, eg product/process.

Most comparitive data is done after cleaning/sanitizing so as to have a common reference point.

Some in-production data exists but obviously can relate to what's on the surfaces so any Standard can become subjective.

Yr unit for SPC is atypical. can try this compilation -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ces/#entry60958

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

liberator

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 113 posts
  • 43 thanks
Excellent

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Sci-Fi - Movies/TV
    Model Kit Building
    Gardening
    Home Renovations
    Riding my Motorcycle

Posted 07 December 2022 - 09:00 PM

While an SPC count could be helpful and you can set some limits, as noted you have a limit of <100 after cleaning. You get a count, you have limits, but what does the SPC count actually tell you around the risk of pathogen contamination of your product or cleanliness of the plant while running? I would be more inclined to test for entero as it gives a clearer indication of hygiene/contamination/soiling issues and points more towards issues around the potential for pathogen contamination to occur.

For Zone A areas (direct food contact)  we test for Entero only, no pathogen testing. A positive pathogen result on Zone A will mean holding product, further testing of product etc.The entero test gives you an idea of the lines cleanliness while running.How long does your process run for?

Zones B, C & D, test for entero, pathogens(listeria/salmonella - depending on your product matrix)  and yeast and moulds. As your customer noted, swab after three hours running time. Swabbing (micro or ATP) after cleaning is a validation of the effectiveness of your cleaning program, it's not showing what the microbial load is on your line while you're running and what risk there is for product contamination from pathogens and other spoilage organisms.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 07 December 2022 - 09:48 PM

While an SPC count could be helpful and you can set some limits, as noted you have a limit of <100 after cleaning. You get a count, you have limits, but what does the SPC count actually tell you around the risk of pathogen contamination of your product or cleanliness of the plant while running? I would be more inclined to test for entero as it gives a clearer indication of hygiene/contamination/soiling issues and points more towards issues around the potential for pathogen contamination to occur.

For Zone A areas (direct food contact)  we test for Entero only, no pathogen testing. A positive pathogen result on Zone A will mean holding product, further testing of product etc.The entero test gives you an idea of the lines cleanliness while running.How long does your process run for?

Zones B, C & D, test for entero, pathogens(listeria/salmonella - depending on your product matrix)  and yeast and moulds. As your customer noted, swab after three hours running time. Swabbing (micro or ATP) after cleaning is a validation of the effectiveness of your cleaning program, it's not showing what the microbial load is on your line while you're running and what risk there is for product contamination from pathogens and other spoilage organisms.

Hi liberator,

Product is unknown. Process is unknown. Cleaning/Sanitising (if any) is unknown.

Suggestions as to any APC limit for the surface after XYZ hours of processing are somewhat impossible IMO.

I have no idea what a value of 100 cfu/ml means in respect to the surface.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 08 December 2022 - 04:40 AM

Hi anfrias1,

As per Charles’ posts in order for you to receive some sound advice you need to post details about the process/product.

Without the information any advice about product limits is “clutching at straws”.

What I will say is that is it is normal to check that product is within specification at the start and end of your production run. If you do this then you should be able to comply with the customer’s request.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users