• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 December 2022 - 03:14 PM

Hi,

Trying to understand the differences between [name] extract and [name] flavour under Canada's FDR rules. I was reading Division 10 and still can't really distinguish the difference between these 2. 

Is it saying that a flavour is an extract PLUS the additional ingredients under ©? 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks! :)

B.10.003 [S]. (naming the flavour) Extract or (naming the flavour) Essence shall be a solution in ethyl alcohol, glycerol, propylene glycol or any combination of these, of sapid or odorous principles, or both, derived from the plant after which the flavouring extract or essence is named, and may contain water, a sweetening agent, food colour and a Class II preservative or Class IV preservative.

B.10.005 [S]. (naming the flavour) Flavour

• (a) shall be a preparation, other than a flavouring preparation described in section B.10.003, of sapid or odorous principles, or both, derived from the aromatic plant after which the flavour is named;

• (b) may contain a sweetening agent, food colour, Class II preservative, thaumatin, Class IV preservative or emulsifying agent; and

• © may have added to it the following liquids only:

• (i) water,

• (ii) any of, or any combination of, the following: benzyl alcohol; 1, 3-butylene glycol, ethyl acetate, ethyl alcohol, glycerol, glyceryl diacetate, glyceryl triacetate, glyceryl tributyrate, isopropyl alcohol, monoglycerides and diglycerides; 1, 2-propylene glycol or triethylcitrate,

• (iii) edible vegetable oil, and

• (iv) brominated vegetable oil, sucrose acetate isobutyrate or mixtures thereof, when such flavour is used in beverages containing citrus or spruce oils.

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 09 December 2022 - 04:01 PM

AFAIK, extract is derivative from a natural source, while flavors are artificial (in most cases, even those stating "natural" are just pretending to be such).

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,508 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 09 December 2022 - 06:21 PM

It depends on whether it's naturally derived OR chemically derived

DIVISION 10Flavouring Preparations

B.10.003 [S]. (naming the flavour) Extract or (naming the flavour) Essence shall be a solution in ethyl alcohol, glycerol, propylene glycol or any combination of these, of sapid or odorous principles, or both, derived from the plant after which the flavouring extract or essence is named, and may contain water, a sweetening agent, food colour and a Class II preservative or Class IV preservative.

B.10.004 [S]. Artificial (naming the flavour) Extract, Artificial (naming the flavour) Essence, Imitation (naming the flavour) Extract or Imitation (naming the flavour) Essence shall be a flavouring extract or essence except that the flavouring principles shall be derived in whole, or in part, from sources other than the aromatic plant after which it is named, and if such extract or essence is defined in these Regulations, the flavouring strength of the artificial or imitation extract or essence shall be not less than that of the extract or essence.

The flavouring agent will be one OR the other from above following the section of division 10 you quoted following section B.10.006 [S] onwards

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

olenazh

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,364 posts
  • 439 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada
  • Interests:My job, church, reading, gym, horror movies

Posted 09 December 2022 - 06:54 PM

To add on: suppliers/manufacturers of fruit preps often tend to refuse disclosing sub-ingredients of their "natural flavour" ingredient claiming that it's proprietary information. I've experienced that several times. As opposed to others, who manufacture really natural stuff (e.g. vanilla extract, red beet extract, etc.) and have nothing to hide. 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users