Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 December 2022 - 06:40 AM

Just wonder if I can add security cameras to Key Activity Types (KAT) in the process where open areas for the equipment?

So, is it necessary to assign a person routinely reviewing footage if you use cameras for KAT in food defense or as long as the cameras are recording and have backup, that should do it?

I have cameras in open processing areas in my previous company and my new company does not have all open processing areas with cameras. I might have push back people saying if we put cameras for food defense, no one is assigned to review the footage.

PS: new to FSSC 22000 but previously have experience with BRC.

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 12 December 2022 - 12:05 PM

Greetings Nevin,

You don't have to assign a person to review footage, but the cameras should be accompanied by some kind of a sensor like movement. Just recording and having the footage stored doesn't prevent a possible event. However, if the movement sensor detects something and sends a notification you can then go to the specific time in the security footage and find out what (if something) happened. Having a person review hours upon hours of recordings is really counterproductive.

The cost of motion sensors is really low these days for a good system complete with alerts on phone app or email or other ways too. There are even ways to connect them to smart hubs and get a "voice" notification!

Regards!

Thanked by 1 Member:

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,070 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 12 December 2022 - 12:34 PM

Cameras are also good for reviewing any work place accidents - especially slips and falls. I would limit to has camera access. I would install them outside too. A great theft deterrent. 

Kara S.

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 177 posts
  • 51 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 December 2022 - 03:39 PM

I would recommend using more than just cameras as you mitigation strategy. It is a deterrent, but it does not limit access to the area of concern. It's like banks or gas stations - they have cameras but people still tend of rob them. Same will go for your facility. Cameras aren't cheap and they are better for site security than they are for food defense in my opinion. 

If you do go with cameras, I would say that you should at least do a check to see that they are working as intended. Unsure if you will have an area where all the camera footage can be seen by management or if you just pull it up on your computers, but if you see a black screen where there should be video, you'll want to see that you lost connection sooner rather than later. 

Kind regards, 

Kara

Food & Beverage Industry Consultant

IFSQN Business ListingLinkedIn  |  Webpage

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 13 December 2022 - 05:29 PM

The cameras shouldn't be listed as a preventative control, but they're certainly worth mentioning in your food defense program as a tool to help with any investigations that arise.  Checking functionality of them, including that they're recording as expected, should be added to any internal audits you have related to your food defense program.

sqflady

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 250 posts
  • 63 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 16 December 2022 - 02:49 PM

When I took the FSPCA course, they said cameras by themselves are not adequate as a mitigation strategy.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users