• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 December 2022 - 11:12 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for microbial guidelines for ready to drink cold brew tea.

I have searched for a fair amount of time but was unable to find a satisfactory answer.

I am hoping that someone here is able to help me in developing a strict microbial limits for ready to drink cold brew tea that I can use to evaluate our suppliers.

Our facility is based in Canada. We are looking to comply with CFIA and FDA regulations. We will be receiving cold brew tea from suppliers in India but we need to first establish the appropriate microbial testing criteria and limits.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

xissa 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 December 2022 - 11:42 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for microbial guidelines for ready to drink cold brew tea.

I have searched for a fair amount of time but was unable to find a satisfactory answer.

I am hoping that someone here is able to help me in developing a strict microbial limits for ready to drink cold brew tea that I can use to evaluate our suppliers.

Our facility is based in Canada. We are looking to comply with CFIA and FDA regulations. We will be receiving cold brew tea from suppliers in India but we need to first establish the appropriate microbial testing criteria and limits.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

xissa 

Hi Xissa,

For Starters (European Tea Committee) ex Google -

Attached File  Compendium_of_Guidelines_for_Tea_ISSUE_5,2018.pdf   782.29KB   16 downloads

(see Annex 11)

and, for comparison, a commercial Canadian spec. -

Attached File  micro spec. Cold Brew Black Tea.PNG   22.48KB   0 downloads

Source -

Attached File  Cold Brew Black-Tea.pdf   211.65KB   11 downloads

The official Canadian Survey of dried herbs/teas (2018) below suggests that the generic E.coli spec  in previous example was tightened which may have reflected the intended "No Brew" aspect, eg -

Attached File  Canada,Guidelines microbial hazards in dried herbs, teas,2018.png   140.34KB   0 downloads

Source -

Attached File  bacterial_pathogens_in_dried_herbs_and_dried_teas_2018.pdf   649KB   8 downloads

PS - I was unable to locate any official CFIA/USFDA micro specs for cold brewed tea.

PPS - can also see this recent short thread on similar topic -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ct/#entry185139

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users