Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 18 January 2023 - 06:54 AM

Hi, Can anyone share the SOP for Allergen Management for Food Packaging Industry? 

Thanks

Edited by Roshni, 18 January 2023 - 06:55 AM.

Regards

Roshni

"Everyone is responsible for food safety"

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors

Posted 18 January 2023 - 11:49 AM

I'm not as familiar with FSSC as the others, but for us (packaging as well)  our SOP basically says we do not store, produce or have items in manufacturing or storage areas that have any allergens.  We then outline a procedure to be taken in the off chance of an incidental allergen contamination.  Such as a you go to receive film and find peanut shells, etc.  Basically how you will limit and contain exposure should something happen.  Also, if you have no policy against what staff can bring in for lunch, spell out how food items are stored and contained and that staff must wash hands before returning to work.  I would also throw in there that you perform training on allergen awareness.  BTW we are SQF and this SOP has been fine for us when audited.

MDaleDDF

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 528 posts
  • 209 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 18 January 2023 - 03:20 PM

Can you elaborate more on what your company makes?   What allergens are in your building, etc, etc?    For an example here, we make dry mixes, and have 4 allergens in our building, and they're in everything we make.   My paperwork may do you absolutely no good, so it would be helpful to have more information.

Roshni

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 19 January 2023 - 05:58 AM

I'm not as familiar with FSSC as the others, but for us (packaging as well)  our SOP basically says we do not store, produce or have items in manufacturing or storage areas that have any allergens.  We then outline a procedure to be taken in the off chance of an incidental allergen contamination.  Such as a you go to receive film and find peanut shells, etc.  Basically how you will limit and contain exposure should something happen.  Also, if you have no policy against what staff can bring in for lunch, spell out how food items are stored and contained and that staff must wash hands before returning to work.  I would also throw in there that you perform training on allergen awareness.  BTW we are SQF and this SOP has been fine for us when audited.

Thanks for the info. Is it possible to share the SOP ?

Regards

Roshni

Roshni

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 36 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 19 January 2023 - 06:42 AM

Can you elaborate more on what your company makes?   What allergens are in your building, etc, etc?    For an example here, we make dry mixes, and have 4 allergens in our building, and they're in everything we make.   My paperwork may do you absolutely no good, so it would be helpful to have more information.

Thanks for the info. The company is manufacturing primary packing material for food. Our process does not have any allergens. Only potential source of allergens is if someone bring nuts .

Regards

Roshni

Scotty_SQF

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 377 posts
  • 90 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:hiking, gravel biking, exploring the great outdoors