• IFSQN Associate
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2023 - 07:56 PM

Hi,

I am working on a HACCP for Cold Smoked Fish. The finished product has been tested and achieved a 14 day shelf life. The PH is 5.88 and Aw 0.9642. Neither of these will prevent the growth of listeria. 

Therefore if listeria were present, the cold smoked fish would support the growth of L.mono, therefore should have a shelf life of 5 days. 

BUT, if raw ingredient testing ( absent in 25g) and environmental swabbing proved that there was there was no L.mono in the first place and weekly ATP swabs to verify effective cleaning and predictive modelling suggested a shelf life of 10 days. Would this demonstrate that listeria is controlled? 

We have put the shelf life at 7 days. But EHO has asked for it to be 5 days. 

I think the question I am asking is, has anyone got a RTE cold smoked product with longer than 5 days shelf-life? If yes, what evidence did you have in terms of sampling? 

Thank you 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 January 2023 - 08:29 PM

Hi,

I am working on a HACCP for Cold Smoked Fish. The finished product has been tested and achieved a 14 day shelf life. The PH is 5.88 and Aw 0.9642. Neither of these will prevent the growth of listeria. 

Therefore if listeria were present, the cold smoked fish would support the growth of L.mono, therefore should have a shelf life of 5 days. 

BUT, if raw ingredient testing ( absent in 25g) and environmental swabbing proved that there was there was no L.mono in the first place and weekly ATP swabs to verify effective cleaning and predictive modelling suggested a shelf life of 10 days. Would this demonstrate that listeria is controlled? 

We have put the shelf life at 7 days. But EHO has asked for it to be 5 days. 

I think the question I am asking is, has anyone got a RTE cold smoked product with longer than 5 days shelf-life? If yes, what evidence did you have in terms of sampling? 

Thank you 

Hi Ruth,

Is it vacuum or MAP packed ? (I presume stored chilled).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

RuthBaker

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 3 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 22 January 2023 - 08:36 PM

Hi

It is Vac Pack ( Sorry - should have said) 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 January 2023 - 11:04 PM

Hi

It is Vac Pack ( Sorry - should have said) 

Hi Ruth,

I anticipate the 5 days mentioned came from this Regulatory aspect -

https://www.foodaler...at-smoked-fish/

Additionally the C.botulinum typically involves a 10 day limit, eg -

https://www.food.gov...acuum-packaging

IIRC from earlier threads here there are (FSA/CFA?) detailed Regulatory requirements for both pathogens if longer shelf lives are involved.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users