• 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Quality Improvements / Continuous Improvement

Posted 26 January 2023 - 01:46 PM

Hi all,

I am after your expertise to check on the understanding for obtaining the tolerances for a Master spec for Bulk density. The raw material in question is in Powder form and can be supplied by multiple suppliers. The aim is to ensure a specification is available when sourcing from new suppliers. I already know that current bulk density spec range is to broad so I need to come up with a logic to tighten the spec ( a lower density = float more and struggle to fit the required weight into pack, a higher density = sinks in easily and OK during packing)

Options:

1. Do I collect bulk density figures tested on-site from raw materials and compare against the chemistry macro tolerances to confirm what needs to go on the master spec?  
  2. Should I use the suppliers Bulk Density figures from their specification to decide the tolerances ( we have multiple suppliers and every supplier has a min-max range which varies)

To be noted: Supplier are using an industry standard approved method, so then we know all suppliers measure the same way. We are also looking to implement an internal method to match this standard so we can test at intake and verify the bulk density for each delivery.

"My point of view; I'd say I need to have this based upon supplier specs, internal testing data could jeopardy supply chain eg. if testing has been done and comes out on figures on the upper level of existing suppliers’ tolerance, and then these are applied, we'd be rejecting all batches falling outside of this, even though they're perfectly acceptable and within the expected variation for that product. I'd also say that supplier would likely not amend product density based upon our results"

Would be great to hear your thoughts. I am based in UK . Thank you 😊

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 26 January 2023 - 03:47 PM

Have you had any instances were an otherwise acceptable within-spec batch caused trouble during packaging?

If not, the plan you outlined makes total sense.

Shuhalox

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 January 2023 - 04:06 PM

Have you had any instances were an otherwise acceptable within-spec batch caused trouble during packaging?

If not, the plan you outlined makes total sense.

Thanks for your input.

Yes, we had instances where we couldn't pack, but we didn't measure the density at the time, therefore we don't know what's acceptable and what's not acceptable since we did not capture any historic data. We are just starting now.

All I know is that I have to create a specification and tighten the range and need to have a logic behind it, even if I follow my plan, I review supplier min and max range, and would let's say go from 0.3-0.6  to  0.4-0.6 purely based on knowing that the higher the density the better. 

Edited by mteslariu, 26 January 2023 - 04:06 PM.

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 27 January 2023 - 07:07 AM

If you have the option, I would upsize the packaging to ensure the product is more likely to fit.

Otherwise, I'd compare the bulk density to the ease of packaging by doing continuous trend analysis of the data so when you get packaging problems again, you have data to back up your claim. and tighten the range then.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 January 2023 - 10:17 PM

Hi Shuhalox,

From a quick Google, this topic looks highly Product-related, ie difficult to generalise.

Can you inform some context as to specific products involved ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Shuhalox

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 January 2023 - 10:00 AM

Hi Shuhalox,

From a quick Google, this topic looks highly Product-related, ie difficult to generalise.

Can you inform some context as to specific products involved ?

Hi,

Sure, It's Milk Powder

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 30 January 2023 - 10:26 AM

The one time I worked in a company that packed lactose powder, the bulk density was something the QC department tested for at least half the incoming lots (or more if deviations were found). This was done to avoid packaging issues due to a density that is too low.

If your suppliers deliver within a certain range, it is your job to confirm the bulk density and make sure that the in-spec products can be packaged without problems.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 January 2023 - 10:40 AM

Hi,

Sure, It's Milk Powder

I guess the comment in yr OP is the way to go, need to (mutually) implement a standard procedure which apparently exists so that a level playing field is achieved.

May be necessary to set up/maintain a "standard" sample to validate/verify your internal procedure.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users