• Quick Navigation
Photo

BRCGS 4.6.1 - What items are classed as equipment?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic
- - - - -

astro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 February 2023 - 08:42 AM

Hi

I am after some conformation on this section please.

I understand this section is for New equipment purchases which is fine however in the interpretation guidelines it mentions about a purchase specification for scoops.

Does this mean we need a purchase spec for gloves, cleaning equipment, belts, knives etc etc.....

Thanks

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 03 February 2023 - 10:33 AM

Scoops typically come into contact with food, so they need to meet the legal requirements for limits on contaminants and migration of compounds that are not allowed in your product. The same applies to machinery, conveyer belts, knives, etc.

Having a specification on file is good practice anyway, as it helps ensure you get the product you ordered and don't get surprised by contaminants you didn't ask about .

astro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 February 2023 - 12:23 PM

Hi Thanks for replying....

I have specs for the products i.e. gloves etc but the standard says a documented purchase spec is required for any new equipment detailing the site requirements  for the equipment before purchase.

So I am assuming I need to write a spec for everything detailing the compliance required before purchase.

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 03 February 2023 - 01:05 PM

If the product specs you have already cover all the information you need for compliance, you don't need to write separate purchasing specs.

The specs you have already cover that need in that case, but you need to make sure ALL legally required information is listed.

astro

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 133 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 February 2023 - 01:31 PM

OK i see now the Penny has dropped......

So basically all i need to do is make sure we get the spec first before purchase like I did in Version 8.

:sleazy:

Thanks

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 03 February 2023 - 02:13 PM

Yes, and I would add a control step that someone checks that the goods delivered actually match the agreed upon spec.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone accidentally delivered the wrong product by mistake.

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 335 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 11 February 2023 - 04:05 PM

There is more to it with 'machinery'.
Things like gloves etc- just need a spec. But with new machinery -the idea is to assess with a multidisciplinary team-
-safety (you and product)
-ease of cleaning,
-cleaning mechanisms and rountines, suitability for food contact (enter spec)
-risks for Foreign object contamination, -
-maintenance requirements,
-calibration requirements
-etc etc.
The cleaning should be validated..
Not sure I have everything but the idea is really to make sure you don't introduce new risks due to equipment not being commissioned properly.

Sorry just went through the thread and realised I misread the question.
You do need a declaration of compliance on scoops as they are food contact. 😊

Edited by AJL, 11 February 2023 - 04:07 PM.

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 13 February 2023 - 06:18 AM

OK i see now the Penny has dropped......

So basically all i need to do is make sure we get the spec first before purchase like I did in Version 8.

:sleazy:

Thanks

Hi astro,

That helps, if you are already doing that and the specifications are in sufficient details and contain the required information.

The equipment purchase specification requirement is new in Issue 9: There shall be a documented purchase specification for any new equipment detailing the site requirements for the equipment ....... including details of intended use.

Also, when considering intended use, you may also want to confirm intended method of cleaning the equipment.

In addition to that specification you will want to ask the supplier for evidence that equipment meets these site requirements prior to supply, such as migration certificates for plastic scoops in contact with food.

Kind regards,

Tony

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 13 February 2023 - 07:33 AM

AJL does make a good point. The standard requires a purchase specification, but also risk-based analysis.

You're likely to require more than just the specification, for example you could also need migration reports for certain items.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users