• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 February 2023 - 10:21 PM

Good Afternoon,

We had a non-compliance in our recent audit because we do not have positive air pressure in our production area. It is mandatory for us to have that as we are making RTE soups. We have been making soups in this building for 4 years and our final product micro counts have been excellent.

We are renting space in a commercial kitchen. We are a small business and do not have the budget to get our own facility or to invest in the current facility to set up an air system. The landlord isn't interested in doing so either. 

The ideal would be to have a proper air system in building but in lack of that, I am wondering if it would work if we install some fans in our production area and they blow the air from production/cooking area towards the packaging area and may be one in packaging area to push it towards the entrance. I wonder if this can be looked as that we are simply circulating the air inside, but if we look at how air tests are done, I just hold the meter and guide it towards the direction of air movement and get a reading.

What are your thoughts? What other cheaper alternatives are there? 

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kay 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,665 posts
  • 1139 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 01 March 2023 - 01:45 AM

Hi Kay,

Currently consulting with a facility that has negative air flow.

I doubt that a fan set up as you suggest will help much.

Here's some thoughts for you.

1. How was it determined that negative air flow exists.

2. I'd want to see the landlord's fire inspection, building inspection and blanket building insurance inspection as well. Be leary if they will not share. Considering how major a situation like this is, it does not make sense to me that it would not be on at least one of the reports.

3. The negative air flow issue is on the Landlord to remedy.

4. You could always call the local fire department and ask them how this is normally addressed.

5. I would suggest you have a certified or highly experienced airflow expert/tech come in to run tests as negative flow can change and sources and remedies can be varied and sometimes quite elusive.

The current facility that I am in has an entire new section shut down right now as a flow issue is so great that if there was even a small fire it would quickly esvalate and I doubt that anyone would make it out alive.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,224 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 01 March 2023 - 06:18 AM

Hi Kay,

I understand the air flow issue but it can be difficult to maintain positive air if you have significant extraction. A few questions spring to mind:

What standard were you audited against?

Has the air quality been tested to confirm that the negative air flow poses a risk?

Kind regards,

Tony

Foodprep

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 March 2023 - 01:28 AM

Hi Kay,

Currently consulting with a facility that has negative air flow.

I doubt that a fan set up as you suggest will help much.

Here's some thoughts for you.

1. How was it determined that negative air flow exists.

2. I'd want to see the landlord's fire inspection, building inspection and blanket building insurance inspection as well. Be leary if they will not share. Considering how major a situation like this is, it does not make sense to me that it would not be on at least one of the reports.

3. The negative air flow issue is on the Landlord to remedy.

4. You could always call the local fire department and ask them how this is normally addressed.

5. I would suggest you have a certified or highly experienced airflow expert/tech come in to run tests as negative flow can change and sources and remedies can be varied and sometimes quite elusive.

The current facility that I am in has an entire new section shut down right now as a flow issue is so great that if there was even a small fire it would quickly esvalate and I doubt that anyone would make it out alive.

Thanks a lot! I didn't even think of it from fire stand point. I was just thinking the micro perspective. Actually, no air flow tests were done. When we asked the landlord, his rep mentioned that they don't have an air system to manage incoming/outgoing air. We are going to inspect another facility as our lease is ending soon. These are some good questions I can ask the potential landlord. 

Foodprep

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 March 2023 - 01:56 AM

Hi Kay,

I understand the air flow issue but it can be difficult to maintain positive air if you have significant extraction. A few questions spring to mind:

What standard were you audited against?

Has the air quality been tested to confirm that the negative air flow poses a risk?

Kind regards,

Tony

NSF Supplier Assurance. 

We are going to do some tests next week and the following week but I don't think that might be enough to go past the standard.

Foodprep

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 35 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 02 March 2023 - 01:58 AM

NSF Supplier Assurance. 

We are going to do some tests next week and the following week but I don't think that might be enough to go past the standard.

Attached Files

Tindarra

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 02 March 2023 - 09:40 PM

We had the same issue . We were able to get some sort of reprieve by doing a risk analysis based on microbiological date gathered over time. This was done using an air monitoring device similar to this. We measured outside air and also inside the high risk area at the point of entry (doors etc)  the machine works by flowing air over media strips which are then incubated. Need to determine what is an acceptable standard.

samplair-pro-main-image.png?itok=m-HkfQH

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users