Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 March 2023 - 04:23 PM

Spices of course can be contaminated with various pathogens due to the process of growing harvest and drying. Spices are more and more harvested and handled with keeping pathogens at low levels. Spices are usually treated in one of the following ways but does not 100% guarantee they are pathogen free: (1) gas flushing, (2) steam pasteurization, (3) irradiation and (4)dry heat treatments.

My client is using a roasting process (DRY HEAT (4)) and does not have the capacity to incorporate a steam pasteurizer. They rely on dry heat. So no changing the process to deal with this hazard is not possible.

The products include: Curry Masala, Butter Masala for (butter chicken), Garam Masala and many others spice blends. These spices are packaged and sold to consumers as a spice blend so they can do meals at home. Use the spice blend to marinate protein of their choice and make an Indian meal at home.

Also these spice blends are used to make the actual sauce (Curry, Butter Chicken Sauce) on site, which is used on site to package a ready meal of rice, sauce, fully cooked chicken. The meals are frozen and the consumer reheats them at home. Sauce cooking is effective at killing the non spore forming pathogens (Salmonella, E. coli, Listeria) so this is good. Spore formers is not a problem with sauces as they are cooled rapidly in a blast freezer plus the meals are frozen for distribution and sale.

Back to spice blend. They are dry so no moisture is available to support pathogen growth. Spices are packaged in a sealed barrier plastic pouch package so moisture getting into the spice blend is not possible so that controls outgrowth of any viable organisms (spores).

The previous HAACP consultant had defined a CCP Critical Limit for dry heating of spices to be:  Heat spices to 90C and hold for 30 seconds. This may seem extreme temperatures but this is the way these spice blends are made and they are pretty good.

I am not sure the dry heat is effective at killing Salmonella which may find protective effects because there is no moisture to destroy those organisms. I cannot find any data to help support that this Dry Heating CL is effective. Any studies or validation data would be greatly appreciated.

Can anyone help with my question. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Daryl

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 852 posts
  • 291 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 March 2023 - 06:36 PM

Have the spices that they are using already been through one of the treatments you listed?

What validation was provided for 90C for 30 seconds?

You are correct.  Pathogens such as salmonella become more heat resistant in low moisture foods.    I'm not saying it cant be done, just that I don't know of any time temperature studies on spices in particular.   However, I have seen studies on other low water activity foods and the time and temperatures are quite extreme as you stated.  

for example a dry temp of 130 C for 45 minutes yields a 4.5-4.8 log reduction in almonds

and others in: 

https://www.ift.org/...-moisture-foods

spices kinda scare me, so I would be cautious.  

I think you have three choices:

1.  find the elusive journal article proving your process or less is effective.

2.  have a validation study conducted on current process

3.  Purchase spices that have been through a validated process or have them treated by a third party company with validation data.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Thanked by 1 Member:

DarylL

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 19 March 2023 - 07:50 PM

Have the spices that they are using already been through one of the treatments you listed?

What validation was provided for 90C for 30 seconds?

You are correct.  Pathogens such as salmonella become more heat resistant in low moisture foods.    I'm not saying it cant be done, just that I don't know of any time temperature studies on spices in particular.   However, I have seen studies on other low water activity foods and the time and temperatures are quite extreme as you stated.  

for example a dry temp of 130 C for 45 minutes yields a 4.5-4.8 log reduction in almonds

and others in: 

https://www.ift.org/...-moisture-foods

spices kinda scare me, so I would be cautious.  

I think you have three choices:

1.  find the elusive journal article proving your process or less is effective.

2.  have a validation study conducted on current process

3.  Purchase spices that have been through a validated process or have them treated by a third party company with validation data.  

Thanks for the reply kingstudruler1,

We are sourcing spices from reputable suppliers who have ensured one of these treatments has happened. Treatment varies by spice type (some you cannot irradiate for example). We do get COA's as well.

The validation for this is non existent from the previous consultant. I think they pulled numbers out of the air as the other CCP's and numerous PCP and preventive controls were poorly done (they needed adjustment by myself). Cooking chicken for example was woefully incorrect (CCP cook to 70 Celsius for zero seconds). Thank goodness they have not made any chicken products until I arrived as the CFIA inspector said I would not be able to give you permission to make this product with that ccp.

I know the spices sold in pouches to consumers will be cooked thoroughly so this is not an issue but it does not remove the fact that we need to have a validated control measure for the reduction or elimination of non spore forming pathogens in that spice blend. In order to put it into a shaker bottle or a resealable pouch.

I have been looking for a couple of days and have found nothing.

I hope someone in the food safety wilderness sees this and can help a fellow food safety geek out.

Again thanks for your reply. I know I am on the right track and appreciate that i had the same conclusion as your three point laundry list.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 852 posts
  • 291 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 March 2023 - 03:14 AM

Thanks for the reply kingstudruler1,

We are sourcing spices from reputable suppliers who have ensured one of these treatments has happened. Treatment varies by spice type (some you cannot irradiate for example). We do get COA's as well.

The validation for this is non existent from the previous consultant. I think they pulled numbers out of the air as the other CCP's and numerous PCP and preventive controls were poorly done (they needed adjustment by myself). Cooking chicken for example was woefully incorrect (CCP cook to 70 Celsius for zero seconds). Thank goodness they have not made any chicken products until I arrived as the CFIA inspector said I would not be able to give you permission to make this product with that ccp.

I know the spices sold in pouches to consumers will be cooked thoroughly so this is not an issue but it does not remove the fact that we need to have a validated control measure for the reduction or elimination of non spore forming pathogens in that spice blend. In order to put it into a shaker bottle or a resealable pouch.

I have been looking for a couple of days and have found nothing.

I hope someone in the food safety wilderness sees this and can help a fellow food safety geek out.

Again thanks for your reply. I know I am on the right track and appreciate that i had the same conclusion as your three point laundry list.

If the spices have already received a treatment, why do you feel that is insufficient?   IE - if the supplier has stated that they have controlled the hazard why would you/they need to control it as well?  

don't get me wrong.   I think its great that they are treating again to help ensure safety.    

I repacked / blended spices for a long time.   Everything we purchased was treated.    We didn't retreat.    But I definitely understand your concern.   

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

EagleEye

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 111 posts
  • 30 thanks
Good

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 20 March 2023 - 04:46 AM

Hi, Daryl.

Heat treating of spices/ its blends is quite challenging preserving its all originality and expected flavor profile.

I don't think that 90 C for 30 seconds would fit with everywhere!

The question, what make you think your supplier's treatment is insufficient? any event you came across that shows otherwise?

If your suppliers have a validated treatment process, they give you a documented proof for that, and you are not getting any incidents thereafter during verification, I think we are good to go.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 20 March 2023 - 06:33 AM

If the spices have already received a treatment, why do you feel that is insufficient?   IE - if the supplier has stated that they have controlled the hazard why would you/they need to control it as well?  

don't get me wrong.   I think its great that they are treating again to help ensure safety.    

I repacked / blended spices for a long time.   Everything we purchased was treated.    We didn't retreat.    But I definitely understand your concern.   

Hi KSR,

So did your suppliers mention/validate what temperature was used to "treat" their products (if it's not confidential) ?

@ Daryl - The famous ASTA website / docs look a likely source of information but may need to be a member for depth research.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

SHQuality

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 317 posts
  • 46 thanks
Excellent

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 20 March 2023 - 07:21 AM

Back to spice blend. They are dry so no moisture is available to support pathogen growth. Spices are packaged in a sealed barrier plastic pouch package so moisture getting into the spice blend is not possible so that controls outgrowth of any viable organisms (spores).

I think "spores" is a term specifically related to molds (and not other organisms).

But "no moisture" is not accurate. You would hope that there is not much moisture, but you're going to have at least some low levels of moisture (especially, if nutmeg or ginger are involved).

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users