• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 March 2023 - 07:48 PM

Hello Everyone, 

Looking into a potential supplier of orange fruit Jam - Are there any regulation and/or requirements for micro testing? Specifically talking about in the US/Canada/Mexico. 

The product is pasteurized at 80 degree C and packed at 50-60 degree C. 

I would think APC, Yeast and Mold, but what about pathogens of concern? 

Not very familiar with fruit juices or juice HACCP regulations so I appreciate the insight! 

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,231 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 23 March 2023 - 05:13 AM

Hi MES12,

If you are not very familiar with fruit juices or juice HACCP regulations then you might find this useful:

Guidance for Industry: Juice Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point Hazards and Controls Guidance, First Edition

Kind regards,

Tony

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 March 2023 - 11:39 PM

juice or jam?

in HTST juice should not be packed at 50-60c .   more like 7c

for juice and the usa there is no testing requirement.  most pathogens can survive / grow in orange juice.  May also be interested in acidophiles or acid tolerant spoilage organisms.  

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,231 posts
  • 1292 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 26 March 2023 - 04:43 AM

Hi MES12,

Further to my previous post, from the Guidance for Industry: Juice Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point Hazards and Controls Guidance the main pathogens of concern are:

For example, Salmonella species have been the cause of several illness outbreaks related to orange juice and may be considered the "pertinent microorganism" for orange juice products. E. coli O157:H7, a bacterial pathogen, and Cryptosporidium parvum, a protozoan parasite, have both been the cause of outbreaks in untreated apple juice, and both should be identified as potential hazards in a hazard analysis for apple juice.

Although Listeria monocytogenes has not been linked specifically to an illness outbreak from juice, it is ubiquitous in nature. For this reason, we recommend that Listeria monocytogenes be considered as a possible "pertinent microorganism" for juices that have not been associated with illness outbreaks caused by Salmonella species, E. coli O157:H7, or Cryptosporidium parvum.

Low-acid juices, such as carrot juice, that are distributed under refrigeration, and are not subject to the Low Acid Canned Foods regulation (21 CFR Part 113) may pose hazards associated with spore forming pathogens, specifically, toxins of non-proteolytic and proteolytic strains of Clostridium botulinum.

Note Section 5.0 Process Validation:

You must ensure that the process you will use has been validated, i.e., that at all times it will deliver, at a minimum, the required 5-log pathogen reduction (21 CFR 120.24(a)).

As jam has considerable less available water, considering the amount of sugar content, the process parameters suggested for juice may be a lot more stringent than what is required.

Kind regards,

Tony

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Orange Juice, Orange Jam, Jam, pasteurized jam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users