• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 04 April 2023 - 04:53 AM

Hi, I'm Meidina.

I would like to ask where I can find information about the use of Caramel Color Class I (E150a) and Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein in food products, especially noodles. Specifically, I am looking for regulations and guidelines regarding their maximum usage levels in USA, Singapore and Middle East Country (UAE) . Can you please provide me with more information? Also, if you don't mind, could you send me a copy of the regulations that provide information about Caramel Color? I can't find it on the website .

I'm sorry if I'm bothering you.

Have a nice day.

Thank you.

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 04 April 2023 - 01:48 PM

Greetings Meidinainasa,

In all 3 regions you mentioned the rule of quantum satis (as much as is necessary) applies for E150aQ 

https://www.fda.gov/...medical-devices

https://sso.agc.gov....FA1973-RG1#Sc5-

https://www.adafsa.g...IN FOOD cop.pdf

For HVP the general rule of 0.2–4.0 g per 1 kg of food stuff applies, but you have to be careful at labelling, cause it needs to describe the specific plant it derives from. The reason is that some are considered allergenic (eg soy) and since its the protein that causes the allrgic reaction you realize the food safety problem. The term hydrolized vegetable protein is vague.

Regards!

Thanked by 1 Member:

meidinainasa

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Indonesia
    Indonesia

Posted 05 April 2023 - 02:41 AM

Thank you Evans for the answer!

We will be using soybeans (soy protein) as a flavor enhancer in the form of hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP), which contains 3-MCPD. Do you have any information about the use of soy protein in food products? Specifically, I would like to know about the regulations and guidelines regarding the maximum usage level of soy protein in food products in Middle Eastern countries (UAE) and Singapore, please

Evans X.

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 331 posts
  • 157 thanks
Excellent

• Greece
    Greece
  • Interests:Food safety, Lab quality, Reading, Online&board gaming, Movies&series, Basketball.

Posted 06 April 2023 - 08:29 AM

EU legislation is a bit more definitive, stating that 3-MCPD cannot exceed 20μg/kg of HVP or Soy sauce. FDA (unless I missed something) is making you do some math stating that 3-MCPD intake cannot exceed 4μg/kg of body weight/day.

Since the better part of Asian countries follow the US or EU or WHO legislation/guidelines the above limits should apply for them too. At least Singapore should. Although UAE is another matter entirely due to religious diet restrictions (not a descrimination comment), they do mention in their food safety guidelines that WHO and Codex general rules are applicable.

Just a suggestion. Would you consider in the future flavor enhancers derived from yeast extract which is free from 3-MCPD?

Maybe other people here can have further and more specific contributions on the matter.

Share this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Additives, Standardization, permitted, FDA, GSO, SFA, Caramel color, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, HVP, Noodle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users