Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 10 May 2023 - 04:35 PM

Hi, I am working for a food distributor (we import food products from Japan and other countries, and also buy products from local vendors) . All the products imported are stored in our US warehouses then distributed to restaurants, etc. Some of the products imported include refrigerated and frozen seafood (mostly fish) from Japan, China, etc. I am reviewing the current HACCP plans which have receiving, storage and shipping steps. All these steps are CCP (temperature) for refrigerated seafood products. Frozen and Dry product HACCP do not have any CCP.

My questions are:

1. For receiving step on HACCP plan for fish and fishery products, is temperature control enough for CCP ? Do we need to examine each type of fish imported and consider the hazards as listed in Fish and Fishery Product Hazards and Control Guidance?

2. As a distributor, in the receiving step, do we need to confirm that our suppliers control the hazard? I would assume yes if we are the FSVP importer, but what about the local vendors? Shouldn't the manufacturers have controlled the applicable hazards? For example, if we buy flour from local vendor, do we as distributor has to verify that the vendor has controlled salmonella in some way?

3. For shipping refrigerated product CCP, our current limit is trailer temperature less than 40F. Would it make sense to change it to <40F for more than 2 hours? 

Thank you in advance.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 11 May 2023 - 04:07 AM

Hi, I am working for a food distributor (we import food products from Japan and other countries, and also buy products from local vendors) . All the products imported are stored in our US warehouses then distributed to restaurants, etc. Some of the products imported include refrigerated and frozen seafood (mostly fish) from Japan, China, etc. I am reviewing the current HACCP plans which have receiving, storage and shipping steps. All these steps are CCP (temperature) for refrigerated seafood products. Frozen and Dry product HACCP do not have any CCP.

My questions are:

1. For receiving step on HACCP plan for fish and fishery products, is temperature control enough for CCP ? Do we need to examine each type of fish imported and consider the hazards as listed in Fish and Fishery Product Hazards and Control Guidance?

2. As a distributor, in the receiving step, do we need to confirm that our suppliers control the hazard? I would assume yes if we are the FSVP importer, but what about the local vendors? Shouldn't the manufacturers have controlled the applicable hazards? For example, if we buy flour from local vendor, do we as distributor has to verify that the vendor has controlled salmonella in some way?

3. For shipping refrigerated product CCP, our current limit is trailer temperature less than 40F. Would it make sense to change it to <40F for more than 2 hours? 

Thank you in advance.

Hi nathalia,

I'm not in USA but do have (HACCP) experience in the Fish business. There are some US importers on this Forum who may likely know the answers to 2/3.

IIRC the FSVP requirements have been discussed at length here many, many times so you might try a little searching.

Re -1 - Receiving raw materials nowadays is usually (HACCP) handled by PRPs but USA is a notable fish exception. I would anticipate that, in addition to the customary (I think) temperature CCP, any other criticalities may depend on the specific species, status eg RTE/NRTE and possibly type of Packaging (eg Vac pack/MAP).

Re -2 - IIRC you need a supplier's HACCP Plan. Local aspects no idea.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users