• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Greece
    Greece

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:02 PM

Hi everyone! 

I am new in this network, I am a Chemical Engineer, currently working on BRC Packaging implementation for a large packaging company, while the last 3 years I was working on other Food Quality and Safety standards. So, each help on establishing a BRC Packaging system would be really helpfull. Moreover, I can help as far as I can anybody else on other critical issues.

Specifically, I would need some help on Environmental Monitoring for plastic packaging materials (which microrganism-targets should I test on product? 

Thank you all in advance. 

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 27 May 2023 - 01:47 AM

Hi everyone! 

I am new in this network, I am a Chemical Engineer, currently working on BRC Packaging implementation for a large packaging company, while the last 3 years I was working on other Food Quality and Safety standards. So, each help on establishing a BRC Packaging system would be really helpfull. Moreover, I can help as far as I can anybody else on other critical issues.

Specifically, I would need some help on Environmental Monitoring for plastic packaging materials (which microrganism-targets should I test on product? 

Hi Katerina,

Please see this BRC thread and particularly the sublinks in Post 2 and 4 which discuss micro characteristics of various types of packaging -

https://www.ifsqn.co...mp/#entry160955

The aspect of whether plastic product is for direct food contact or not is relevant from a Risk POV.

PS - Above thread is 2020 so may be a few additional requirements as of "now".

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

aldehit75_murat

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 29 May 2023 - 10:06 AM

Hi katerina, i saw you are leaving the same industry and i would like to help my colleague. I have been working as a quality manager in the paper and plastic packaging industry for 4 years. Previously, I worked in food production (dairy products) for a long time.

The answer to the question is; Since you work in a dry environment production area, microbiological bacteria must be able to grow in this environment.

or,  you should target microbiological organisms caused by contamination from personnel. (E.coli, Koliform, Listeria, Mold - Yeast and Total Bacteria) I think these are enough.

You can solve them all with ready-made swab kits.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 May 2023 - 03:10 AM

Hi katerina, i saw you are leaving the same industry and i would like to help my colleague. I have been working as a quality manager in the paper and plastic packaging industry for 4 years. Previously, I worked in food production (dairy products) for a long time.

The answer to the question is; Since you work in a dry environment production area, microbiological bacteria must be able to grow in this environment.

or,  you should target microbiological organisms caused by contamination from personnel. (E.coli, Koliform, Listeria, Mold - Yeast and Total Bacteria) I think these are enough.

You can solve them all with ready-made swab kits.

Hi aldehit,

Thks yr input.

Might add that the appropriate response also has to be compliant with BRC Packaging Standard.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

beautiophile

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 252 posts
  • 81 thanks
Excellent

• Vietnam
    Vietnam

Posted 16 June 2023 - 01:32 AM

Hi everyone! 

Sometimes, we do things not because it's technically reasonable, just because we have to sort out the OCDs kicking our bio-/foodology customers and auditors.

I work in the conventional plastic industry. Our swab tests (same as aldehit75's post) always come as 'not detected'. Our history reports and found scientific articles can't convince them that we don't need such examinations. BRC however allows that exemption.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users