Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 May 2023 - 01:18 PM

Our ingredient supplier is asking for a disposal certificate for an ingredient they sent us that was compromised, is that something I would make up or would I have to get it from the waste disposal company? 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,070 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 30 May 2023 - 01:24 PM

How did you dispose of it. Depending on the item and amount - we will get a receipt from our waste disposal company showing the pounds. (Needs to be a significant amount).

We have a form we fill out of anything thrown out. So why it was thrown out (expired, etc). The disposal method. May include the lot numbers too. Then a supervisor signs it. We may get photos too as proof.

kristinmaxx

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 May 2023 - 01:28 PM

We just threw it out in the dumpster, it was only ~12 lbs. of raw material. The customer is asking for a certificate and I am confused as to what they want on it. We also fill out a form internally having the same information on it as you stated. 

Sayed M Naim Khalid

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 105 posts
  • 30 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 May 2023 - 02:07 PM

If the raw material is hazardous waste, you can get it a certificate of disposal called " Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest". Otherwise, you can take pictures of the disposed product, especially if the quantity is less. 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,070 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 30 May 2023 - 02:52 PM

We just threw it out in the dumpster, it was only ~12 lbs. of raw material. The customer is asking for a certificate and I am confused as to what they want on it. We also fill out a form internally having the same information on it as you stated. 

Try sending a copy of your form. See if this is good enough. Then if not - see about a picture. If none taken - see if your camera's captured it.

OrRedFood

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 111 posts
  • 24 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 30 May 2023 - 05:53 PM

Is the ingredient something that was part of your supplier recalling or withdrawing something from the market?  If so, it might be part of their recall procedure. It sounds like they should have told you that they needed documentation when they asked you to discard it. 

I would do what others have suggested and share a copy of your disposal form, and any pictures.  It's good practice to remove the labels or deface them in some way so that the item can't be resold, if you can tell them that you did do that on your form, that would help too.  

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 31 May 2023 - 03:55 PM

I'd send them your disposal form.  If by chance your form lacks company specific identifying data (meaning they can't clearly tell your facility disposed of that product), you could have a manager write up a statement to go with the form on the company letterhead to declare that the form accurately describes your disposal of the material in question.

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 684 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 June 2023 - 06:03 PM

If you have an officer sign a letter (certification) that the product was disposed of in compliance with your waste disposal procedure and state the amount disposed of, that is a disposal certificate. That along with your documentation of what and when should suffice since it's really the only thing you have.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users