Miquel

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Location:Palma de Mallorca (Illes Balears - Balearic Islands) Europe

Posted 30 August 2006 - 03:25 PM

I understand prerrequisites programmes (PPR) manage basic conditions and activities (maintaining an hygienic production in all steps). Cleaning programme, Training programme, Maintenance of layout,... are PPR.

Operational PPR manage control measures that the hazard analisys identifies as necessary to control hazards to acceptable levels (but they are not CCP).

HACCP manage control measures that the hazard analisis identifies as necessary to control hazards to acceptable levels and they are Critical Control Points (CCP).

Example. COLD STORAGE (hotel, restaurant,...) in walk-in refrigerators. An hazard may be microbiological contamination by bacteria, because food is not properly covered, or temperatures are too high. Some control measures are cover food properly, and maintein low temperatures in the fridges (<4 ºC).

The first one is managed by an operational PPR, and the second by HACCP...

I'm not sure about these questions. Could anybody help me???

A Million Thanks!!!

Miquel

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:55 AM

Hi Miquel,

I'm sure one of the ISO 22000 experts will be able to help you.

:welcome:

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

okido

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 205 posts
  • 14 thanks
Neutral

• Netherlands
    Netherlands

Posted 31 August 2006 - 09:46 AM

Hi Miquel,

You can find a HACCP study on this forum that uses a widely accepted method. You see an extraction below. All hazards are methodically quantified.
Depending on the risk level you categorise the control methods as PRP. oPRP or CCP.

L = Likelihood of the Occurrence
3 = High, 2 = Medium, 1 = Low

Severity of the Outcome
3 = High, 2 = Medium, 1 = Low

R = Risk Level (L x S)
1-3 = Low risk (Prerequisite Program )
4-6 = Medium risk (Operational Prerequisite Program)
7-9 = Substantial risk (Critical Control Point)

Remember to share good fortune with your friend, Okido

Thanked by 1 Member:

Miquel

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Location:Palma de Mallorca (Illes Balears - Balearic Islands) Europe

Posted 31 August 2006 - 12:16 PM

Thanks Okido...

So the typical 'decision tree' is absolutely unnecessary in ISO 22000???

Where can I find the HACCP study you are refering to???

In my opinion, ISO 22000 complicates hazard assessment, and it's easier to follow the Codex Alimentarius methodology (based on 'decision trees'). Moreover ISO 22000 requeriments must be followed in order to be certificated. A huge problem!!!

Thanks.

Miquel.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:35 PM

Dear Miguel,

Okido is possibly referring to a file (which contains a HACCP study) in the free downloadable document exchange on the sub-forum (see the link directly under 'General discussion'). You can equally click on this -
http://www.saferpak....hp?showtopic=83
or
http://www.saferpak....p?showtopic=355

(not 100% sure I'm right since I don't see any specific I22k markers though the risk matrix looks a match, no doubt Okido will specify shortly).

I do not use ISO22000 so I ‘d better leave a direct answer to yr query about necessity for D-tree to others but there has been a lot of discussion on yr query with respect to HACCP plans in general already on this forum. In many cases the eventual answer is 'it's up to you' but for ISO22k I defer to the I-experts.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 01 September 2006 - 06:18 AM

but there has been a lot of discussion on yr query with respect to HACCP plans in general already on this forum.

Both Okido and Charles C. are right. May I suggest that you spend some time refering to some of the older threads where most of the answers on ISO 22K had already been given.

Technically, initial OPRPs refer to those PRP Programs that require monitoring to ensure its effectiveness and reliability; can be validated; intended to control an identified hazard or control the introduction of a hazard to the product or the process environment and / or part of a combination of control measures (7.2.3)

(7.2.3) is where you need to split between PRP and OPRP with the former being "Infrastructure amd Maintenance" focus versus the latter which is more robust in monitoring product itself or process environment.

If the OPRP is a stand alone control measure - it should be part of the HACCP Plan. (7.5)

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Sonali

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2006 - 01:57 PM

I understand prerrequisites programmes (PPR) manage basic conditions and activities (maintaining an hygienic production in all steps). Cleaning programme, Training programme, Maintenance of layout,... are PPR.

Operational PPR manage control measures that the hazard analisys identifies as necessary to control hazards to acceptable levels (but they are not CCP).

HACCP manage control measures that the hazard analisis identifies as necessary to control hazards to acceptable levels and they are Critical Control Points (CCP).

Example. COLD STORAGE (hotel, restaurant,...) in walk-in refrigerators. An hazard may be microbiological contamination by bacteria, because food is not properly covered, or temperatures are too high. Some control measures are cover food properly, and maintein low temperatures in the fridges (<4 ºC).

The first one is managed by an operational PPR, and the second by HACCP...

I'm not sure about these questions. Could anybody help me???

A Million Thanks!!!

Miquel

Hello all,

It seems lot of confusion was going around PRP, oPRP & CCP and infact that was also the reason with me landing at this forum.
I never understand , why these standard people make things more complex. Anyways getting to the point let me explain you in a very simple manner the difference b/w these 3 FSMS terms:

PRP : These are basically the generic controls in any type of food buisness operation. Mark the word GENERIC . These are to be applied in all types of food buisness so as to maintain a hygienic environment to reduce the risk to the Food Safety .
Eg - Plant Layout or infrasturcture control , pest control, personnnel hygiene, sanitation , work environment, food handling and storage , transporatation.

PRP are foundation of HACCP .

oPRP : These differ from PRP in the sense that these are SPECIFIC to particular industry /food operations . And these are arrived only after doing the hazard analysis. So, oPRP wil differ within the food industry while PRP could be more or less similiar. Therefore, after you conduct hazard analysis for a specific food chain and there comes a requirement/step where control is required to prevent /reduce the hazard it becomes oPRP .

CCP : CCP also arrive as a result of Hazard Aanlysis but difference b/w oPRP & CCP is the risk level of the identified hazard. If the hazard pose very high risk to food safety then it is CCP rather than oPRP(substantial risk) .
Also, while doing hazard analysis some steps are required to control the hazard but since the hazard is reduced /eliminated in further step , it is not considered a CCP , so in such case it's an oPRP

Hope I am able to bring in some clarity.

In case of some conflict do let me know .

Sonali

Thanked by 1 Member:

sekin

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 2 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Turkey
    Turkey

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:24 PM

I agree that PRP's are smilar for alot of food operations and referred Codex codes. there is seperation according to the sectors. but in the operations you need to spesify your requirements such as cleaning programs ( frequency, cleaning agents, ect..). oPRP's are mainly controlling of hygienic conditions. it is changed from one to another even in same sectors. PRP's are basic to be a food processing. I think because of these there is no guide about its details
sekin

Erasmo

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 135 posts
  • 19 thanks
Neutral

• Mexico
    Mexico

Posted 22 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

Hi everyone.

This is how I understand the requirements:

a) PRP: Basic conditions. (does not need validation, monitoring etc.)

B) oPPR: It is a control measure and has to be validated, monitored and does not have a defined critical limits. You need to check the monitoring records and make an assessment in order to know if there is a problem with that control measure.

c) HACCP plan: Same as the oPRP but it has very defined critical limits.

You need to

Validate: b & c
Monitoring: b & c
Verify: a,b & c

For 22000 you need at least one PRP.

Thanked by 1 Member:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 10:21 AM

Hi everyone.

This is how I understand the requirements:

a) PRP: Basic conditions. (does not need validation, monitoring etc.)

B) oPPR: It is a control measure and has to be validated, monitored and does not have a defined critical limits. You need to check the monitoring records and make an assessment in order to know if there is a problem with that control measure.

c) HACCP plan: Same as the oPRP but it has very defined critical limits.

You need to

Validate: b & c
Monitoring: b & c
Verify: a,b & c

For 22000 you need at least one PRP.

Thanks for your input Erasmo, and welcome to the forums. :bye:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

frawat

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Peru
    Peru
  • Interests:Quality Management
    Food Safety
    Statistical Thinking
    Six Sigma

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:30 AM

Thank you Erasmo, your answer is the best :thumbup:
Saludos desde Perú

Francis

zein1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 16 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Lebanon
    Lebanon
  • Interests:Knowledge of new technologies. I have experience in consultancy for ISO9001 and HACCP as well as auditing.
    Like also to partcipitate in seminars or lectures where I can learn more about food science, technology and safety. Also like to give lectures on Quality and Food Safey where I can share my experience givem that I spent 9 yrs in working within different food industries.

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:45 PM

Dear Sirs,

Validation to my knowledge as lead auditor for food safety, applies only to CCPs -- since we shall be looking to validate the critical limits vs which control measure is identified. Meanwhile for OPRP it is not applicable since there are no critical limits identified.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:29 PM

Dear Sirs,

Validation to my knowledge as lead auditor for food safety, applies only to CCPs -- since we shall be looking to validate the critical limits vs which control measure is identified. Meanwhile for OPRP it is not applicable since there are no critical limits identified.

Dear zein,

Paragraph 8.2 of the iso22000 standard expands on yr comment.

It should also be noted that this thread is 7 years old. Some of the comments in previous posts may be partially obsolete.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users