• Quick Navigation
Photo

Safety reason or product presentation reason?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:25 PM

Hello everybody

This is my second attempt; I must have done some wrong because my question has not been posted on the forum.

After attending the Internation Frozen Seafood Exhibition and see lots of products and presentations and talk to some companies representatives one doubt came to my mind.

I would like to know the reason why a frozen product is vacuum packed. is that a safety / product preservation reason or it is just good lookig presentation of the product ?

From a HACCP point of view, the hazards and/risks are the same for a "frozen product vacuum packed" than for a just " wrapped ( with a film ) frozen product " ?

Regards

Esther

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:19 AM

Dear Ester,

Vacuum packing is a preferred approach as it has to do with the preservation of fish quality against sublimation and precipitation of water vapour that could result in dehydration and frost formation which are two of the main deterioration modes of frozen sea foods.

If the packaging barrier impact strength is inadequate (high permeability penetration) , it could also lead to oxidation resulting loss of flavour and odor pick up.

Hope this clears your doubt

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Esther

• IFSQN Member
  • 232 posts
  • 17 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain
  • Interests:Local and international food law; food industrial processes; food safety management systems;GMP; lean manufacturing; share knowledge

Posted 01 January 2007 - 08:19 PM

This PDF may be a useful read:

Guidance for Processing Reduced Oxygen Packaged (ROP) of Raw, Frozen, Seafood in Retail Operations

Regards,
Simon

Dear Simon and Charles

Sorry for the delay in saying Thank you for your answers, I first and last saw them on October.

Charles, I did refer to a frozen product that had been previosly glazed so dehydratation is not likely to happen as long as the storage temperature is right ? So after reading the Simon's link seems like "good presentation suitable for being labelled and a hygienic handling" are the mains reasons.

Sincerely
Esther

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 January 2007 - 10:25 AM

Dear Esther,

Regarding yr HACCP query, Suggest you consult this ref . which compares various packaging situations with respect to CCPs -

http://www.cfsan.fda...m/haccp4c3.html

Happy New Year

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users