• Quick Navigation
Photo

Do Standards Improve Quality?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Do Standards Improve Quality? (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Do Standards Improve Quality?

1. My product quality has improved since gaining certification? (22 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. My product quality has remained unchanged since gaining certification? (15 votes [34.09%])

Percentage of vote: 34.09%

3. My product quality has decreased since gaining certification? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. No comment? (7 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote
- - - - -

yorkshire

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 380 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Antiques<br />Buying Georgian houses<br />Fine Food &amp; Wine<br />Luxury Cars<br />(Mostly dreams)

Posted 02 August 2004 - 11:10 AM

We are all used to working towards certification against some standard or other (BRC, SQF, IFS, ISO......) but do these standards actually help us make better products, or do they get in the way of us doing our jobs?

"Have the courage to be ignorant of a great number of things, in order to avoid the calamity of being ignorant of everything." Sydney Smith 1771 - 1845 www.newsinfoplus.co.uk

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 13 August 2004 - 01:41 PM

Hello Yorky,

Let's face it most organisations work to standards and collect badges because it's a requirement of doing business in their industry. And when it's something you have to do the commitment of top management usually lasts about as long as the awards ceremony. It's not the badge or the awards ceremony that benefits the organisation internally, the quality and safety of the product or customer satisfaction, its good management systems and this is the responsibility of the Quality Manager, it's up to him/her to make sure business benefits are derived from standards and certification. Yes I think Standards in general are beneficial. Now certificates are quite another thing.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Puzzle

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 254 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral
  • Interests:Petrolhead, sleeping, too much food and many other items that are forgotten!!

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:36 PM

Interesting.

Standards yes......

At the mo we are having a very large automotive project trundling through our business, our customer and the end customer (manufacturer!) both state all shall be proscribed automotive practices, ie APQP, PPAP, FMEA, etc.

Is it happening.....like heck.

We are expected to supply all of their information from the rubbish that has been thrown at us. And these are supposed to be working to certified QS (TS2) systems.

Our systems are more robust than what I am seeing at present

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:42 PM

Sounds like you'd be better off taking that packaging job Puzzle - phew!

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Gaskit

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 106 posts
  • 12 thanks
Neutral

• Jamaica
    Jamaica

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:41 AM

I quite agree that it is up to the quality manager to "push the book" forward as to safety of product and customer satisfaction, but then there comes a time when after a number of years of working all hours god sends to achieve product safety and customer satisfaction, the system and staff actually run themselfs and poor old quality manager either has hours reduced or has done himeslf effectively out of a job.

Nice thing customer driven standards.

Regards,

Steve

I know God will not give me anything I cann't handle, I just wish that he didn't trust me so much.

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 February 2007 - 09:48 AM

I quite agree that it is up to the quality manager to "push the book" forward as to safety of product and customer satisfaction, but then there comes a time when after a number of years of working all hours god sends to achieve product safety and customer satisfaction, the system and staff actually run themselfs and poor old quality manager either has hours reduced or has done himeslf effectively out of a job.

Nice thing customer driven standards.

Regards,

Steve

Especially when they change and you have to "subscribe" to get a copy of the new standards!! :headhurts:

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 03 June 2007 - 08:04 AM

Why are we trying to get certification against some standard? If its only to have it
because all our competitors also have it or the customer demands for it, then one could feel the burden of carrying it. I feel even if one could implement 60-70% systems , one could gain a lot. One of the sentences in our company's policy statement says'.......our dedication and committment to achieving food safety shall have reciprocations at our homes and personal lives'. We certainly vouch for it. :clap:

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:25 AM

Dear Sankara,

A very poetic policy indeed! Presumably not written by the Quality Representative.

shall have reciprocations at our homes and personal lives

Does this mean you are able to sleep more, less or just faster ? :smile:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 03 June 2007 - 11:13 AM

A very poetic policy indeed! Presumably not written by the Quality Representative.
Does this mean you are able to sleep more, less or just faster ? :smile:

Dear Charles,

Glad to know you liked it. Auditor too liked it.

Honestly I believe that one can sleep pecefully, yes . :x_biggrin:

I can see the difference in some of the employees, the newly recruited ones(recruited during 22k implementation) are in the system to a good extent where with the old ones its a bit difficult to introduce new systems and maintain it. -_-

I, for one, ask employees once in a fortnight to tell the policy statement word by word and how he relates it with his work. So far so good.... we have to wait and see how it is in the long run.....I am an optimist anyway.... :x_smile:

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

I, for one, ask employees once in a fortnight to tell the policy statement word by word and how he relates it with his work. So far so good.... we have to wait and see how it is in the long run.....I am an optimist anyway.... :x_smile:

I believe you take food safety and quality very seriously. :clap: I would have confidence in buying your products.

Regards,
Simon

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:40 PM

:clap: I would have confidence in buying your products.

Simon

I am flattered Simon.... :happydance:

(I'll have a sample of our product delivered to you.) :secret:

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 05 June 2007 - 03:54 PM

I am flattered Simon.... :happydance:

(I'll have a sample of our product delivered to you.) :secret:

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

If you're serious I would very much like that Sankara. :biggrin:

My address is here: http://www.ifsqn.com/contact_us.php

Thanks,
Simon

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:08 PM

I think the standards if you really take time to work on them (not just 1 month before the audit but all year round) do really help.

For those of you in the UK though, I think the new Tesco standard is really going to drive some changes in standards. Tesco used to audit (PIU) without a standard, just a collection of COPs and Best Practices which didn't cover everything. Their new standard is very clear and quite stretching as well. I think it's going to be a challenge but because they're the biggest UK retailer, they will get what they want - don't do it and you lose business!

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:09 PM

Sorry - can I just correct myself, actually Tesco always had some kind of standard, it was just bizarrely secret until November last year!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:13 AM

Dear GMO,

quite stretching

Interesting. Can you elaborate a little ?
Does this imply that the BRC standard is considered too lenient (ie not protective enough) ?
Or too unintelligible (certain sections are definitely ISO-like IMO) ?

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:20 PM

I just did a really long reply and then it kicked me out!

I think Tesco like to be a step ahead, especially in the light of the whistleblower programme. They have some areas which have to be implemented and some which are aspirational but knowing Tesco, that only means they really expect them too. There are some really high expectations like having alarms or auto closing chiller doors, CCTV outside, resanitising alarms, no temps in high risk etc!

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:52 PM

Dear GMO,

Thks yr comments (and yr numerous posts :thumbup: ). Haven't had time to study them all yet.

Yes indeed, autosave can be a curse or a blessing.

No CCTV inside ? Makes a good coconut -shy for the end of the night shift :biggrin:

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:47 PM

Sorry - can I just correct myself, actually Tesco always had some kind of standard, it was just bizarrely secret until November last year!

Where can we get a copy GMO, is it freely available?

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,849 posts
  • 726 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:37 AM

Nope it's not freely available but it is on the Tesco Technical Library so if you are a supplier, you can get it there. I'd probably get shot for posting a copy mind.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

Nope it's not freely available but it is on the Tesco Technical Library so if you are a supplier, you can get it there. I'd probably get shot for posting a copy mind.

No problem. We wouldn't want to upset the mighty Tesco. Seriously we discourage posting copyrighted documents for obvious reasons.

Regards,
Simon

smaina

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Kenya
    Kenya
  • Interests:chess and bible reading,lean manufacturing and Kaizen

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

hi,

I have seen it work at my place of work. I strongly believe it works.

Thanks

simon maina

We are all used to working towards certification against some standard or other (EFSIS, BRC, IFS, ISO......) but do these standards actually help us make better products, or do they get in the way of us doing our jobs?

Faith moves mountains!!!

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,831 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

I know the original question was relating to ‘standards’ as in food safety or quality. However the word "standard" itself means fixed, common, known and allows for more accurate repeatability. It might not be a good standard but at least it’s a known/fixed foundation that we can build upon. Without that foundation the house of quality and continual improvement is built on sand.

Bhawani Gorti

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Active
  • 48 posts
  • 23 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food safety and compliance expert

Posted 08 March 2014 - 06:43 AM

It is old topic but still feel to reply.....

Standards has nothing to do with quality of product. Following and implement the standard,keep system compliance and builds competency in sustaining the food safety management system. That is it.....

If company gets certification and fails to sustain the system then it is suicidal attempt for business.

if company follows standards and strict on implementation and maintenance of standard but does not go for certification then under such situation, company will sustain the food safety system that is what we all food safety professional are working towards........

thanks

B T Gorti
food safety and compliance expert

Skype id-Saradiro Services
website-www.saradiro.com

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5665 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

It is old topic but still feel to reply.....

Standards has nothing to do with quality of product. Following and implement the standard,keep system compliance and builds competency in sustaining the food safety management system. That is it.....

If company gets certification and fails to sustain the system then it is suicidal attempt for business.

if company follows standards and strict on implementation and maintenance of standard but does not go for certification then under such situation, company will sustain the food safety system that is what we all food safety professional are working towards........

thanks

Dear Bhawani Gorti,

Standards has nothing to do with quality of product

Unfortunately the thread specified "standard" but never defined "Quality"

If company follows standards and strict on implementation and maintenance of standard but does not go for certification then under such situation, company will sustain the food safety system that is what we all food safety professional are working towards........

I think you are saying that implementing the content of FS standards prevents satisfactory achievance of a (HACCP?) food safe system. This is a rather sweeping statement with no further validation.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Bhawani Gorti

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Active
  • 48 posts
  • 23 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food safety and compliance expert

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:52 AM

Charles C

The Implementation of contents of Food Safety is facilitating or support more strongly the foundation of HACCP concept but not preventing HACCP. May be some misinterpretation of statement. 

thanks

B T Gorti
food safety and compliance expert

Skype id-Saradiro Services
website-www.saradiro.com

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users