Elan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Qatar
    Qatar
  • Interests:Love to stay at home and relax .

Posted 03 May 2007 - 01:41 PM

Hi All,

Is it important for a food warehouse to measure the level of humidity inside the warehouse or even during receiving of food items ? Is this a requirement from the standard ? Is there any way we can justify not to have a humidity level test ?

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,835 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:36 AM

Hi All,

Is it important for a food warehouse to measure the level of humidity inside the warehouse or even during receiving of food items ? Is this a requirement from the standard ? Is there any way we can justify not to have a humidity level test ?

It must depend on whether the food item is affected by humidity, which I imagine depends on what the food item is and how it is packaged etc. Do you have high humidity problems in the warehouse? Have you ever had spoilage issues caused by humidity? Is it one type of food item you are storing or a range of food items? Who is the customer, what parametres do they specify for humidity? I doubt ISO 22000 will tell you to measure / control humidity, but it will require you to measure and control all things that affect food safety and quality.

We need more information Elan. :smile:

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Elan

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 5 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Qatar
    Qatar
  • Interests:Love to stay at home and relax .

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:15 AM

Dear Simon,

We are a third party warehouse which can store anything, food and non food product. At the moment we do not measure the the level of humidity in our warehouse. We just receive a comment from our Consultant that we should start to monitor the level of humidity. I am not sure if it will be adding value to our operation / process. How to I investigate and prove to the Consultant that the level of humidity has no impact on the spoilage of food. By the way, we never had such and incident. Our customer never specifies anything on the humidity as well ? Do chambers in -20 degrees have humidity issues ?

Phillip Huff

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 16 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:30 AM

We are fortunate that the humidity levels are very low in our region, however, auditors always ask if we measure humidity levels. Their concern is with yeast and mold growth on boxes (a problem multiple auditors have mentioned). In cold rooms/freezers its less of an issue however product quality issues may arise through inadvertent ice crystal growth in products in high moisture environments.
I am just glad that its one measure we don't have to make.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users