• Quick Navigation
Photo

Proliferation of ISO 22000 in the UK - Is it happening?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
* * * * * 1 votes

fed

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

I've not posted in a long while, but I do stop by and read the posts regularly, at least a couple of times a week. :whistle: In the food press, including here, other websites and magazines I read a lot about the virtues and benefits of ISO 22000, yet on the ground I don’t see it happening. I’m talking about my little world which is UK food manufacturing. Does anyone have an alternate viewpoint either from UK food manufacturing or elsewhere in the UK food industry? In the main it appears to be the Far East where perhaps food safety is less developed that the standard is doing well. I like to be proactive and I’m wondering whether I need to buy the suite of standards and get an understanding of them or will ISO 22000 never reach our shores. I have enough on my to-do list already and not much room in my head for more never to be used again knowledge. :unsure:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:32 PM

I've not posted in a long while, but I do stop by and read the posts regularly, at least a couple of times a week. :whistle: In the food press, including here, other websites and magazines I read a lot about the virtues and benefits of ISO 22000, yet on the ground I don’t see it happening. I’m talking about my little world which is UK food manufacturing. Does anyone have an alternate viewpoint either from UK food manufacturing or elsewhere in the UK food industry? In the main it appears to be the Far East where perhaps food safety is less developed that the standard is doing well. I like to be proactive and I’m wondering whether I need to buy the suite of standards and get an understanding of them or will ISO 22000 never reach our shores. I have enough on my to-do list already and not much room in my head for more never to be used again knowledge. :unsure:

Hello again Fed. My experience is pretty much the same as yours. I don't see or hear much about ISO 22000 in my business network, outside of these forums. Food manufacturing, packaging etc. are covered by the BRC Standards and food service business operators by EC 852/2004 and the requirement to have food safety management procedures based on the principles of HACCP. I really don't see ISO 22000 gaining a foothold in the UK without any legal or customer drivers. Just my opinion.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Gavinova

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Japan
    Japan

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:31 AM

I hear it things are pretty slow in most developed countries. But a bit of interest in developing countries such as China and Turkey. I heard in the US, Kraft and Nestle announced that they are implementing ISO22000 worldwide.

In Japan "JAB" (Japan Accreditation Body) has just been approved to offer accreditation services for Japanese registration bodies for ISO22000. It will be interesting to see the market response .

Before this Japanese registration bodies had to seek an accreditation from an overseas accreditation body such as UKAS or JASANZ if they wanted to offer accredited ISO22000 certification services.

fed

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 12 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:07 PM

Valuable and interesting information. One or two of our plants used to supply Nestle and Kraft but no longer. If your information is valid then I had better start looking into the standard pronto, if we ever hope to become a supplier to either again. When you say you heard it, do you remember where? Was it published in print, website or verbal? Just another question before ISO 22000 was there a standard such as BRC Food for Japanese food processors, or was it HACCP and ISO 9000?

Thanks for the useful info Gavinova.

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:30 PM

I hear it things are pretty slow in most developed countries. But a bit of interest in developing countries such as China and Turkey. I heard in the US, Kraft and Nestle announced that they are implementing ISO22000 worldwide.

What have 'Kraft and Nestle' and 'Lewis Hamilton and Ayrton Senna' got in common.

They are all immense drivers. :biggrin:

In terms of ISO 22000 Kraft and Nestle are the kind of customer drivers I was talking about. If the likes of Kraft and Nestle are implementing ISO 22000 worldwide, we'd all better start reading up on the standard. :helpplease:

Regards,
Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Sankara narayanan

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 159 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 29 July 2007 - 11:45 AM

If the likes of Kraft and Nestle are implementing ISO 22000 worldwide, we'd all better start reading up on the standard. :helpplease:

Slow and steady wins the race :rofl2:

Best Regards,

A Sankara Narayanan

A.Sankara Narayanan

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:45 PM

Apart form Kraft and Nestle; any other big food brands or retailers supporting ISO 22000?

Suzuki

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 28 August 2007 - 07:17 AM

Simon,

A lot are on the way and are in the implementation stages. We know some big boys (Americans) have recently sent their people for ISO 22000 Training with a view to integrate into their current system.

ISO 22000 Lead auditor training in the USA has been extremely strong and no lack of interest. I do not see UK not going for it albeit trashing out the differences between BRC and ISO 22K requirements (which I suspect is already happening and a leader in the pack has agreed to changeover)

Regards
Suzuki

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users