Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,796 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:39 PM

Ok - my partner thinks I'm a bit crazy but I was thinking about food laws, e.g. kosher, halal etc and was wondering whether they were originally devised as ways to keep food safe. For example, Jewish people are not allowed to eat fish which don't have scales and fins. In the middle east, there are red tides which make shellfish toxic and keeping shellfish safe without refridgeration would have been impossible.

To be blasphemous for a second, if my hypothesis is correct, will we all be worshiping the BRC in years to come???

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 31 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

Ok - my partner thinks I'm a bit crazy but I was thinking about food laws, e.g. kosher, halal etc and was wondering whether they were originally devised as ways to keep food safe. For example, Jewish people are not allowed to eat fish which don't have scales and fins. In the middle east, there are red tides which make shellfish toxic and keeping shellfish safe without refridgeration would have been impossible.

To be blasphemous for a second, if my hypothesis is correct, will we all be worshiping the BRC in years to come???

Food for thought eh?

i know that indians only eat with their right hand as the left hand is "unclean"

it is an interesting subject, and one we should become more aware of as we employ multi nationals.

the english are currently eating humble pie GMO....after doing so well in the rugby ;)

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:04 AM

No.

From my very limited knowledge I think they are or at least parts of them are.

So what is your question or point GMO (you muppet :lol: - btw I love it)? :dunno:

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Charles Chew

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,178 posts
  • 54 thanks
Good

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Food, food and food!

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:31 AM

Halal is a big fuss where i come from but then when you look closely at some of these "Halal" food outlets, they are so dirty its unimaginable you would consider having it for your meal. Recently came across an article (deleted since) that says Halal must now be supported by scientific facts to be in line with modern times.

So you could soon be worshiping BRC/ISO 22000/Halal at one go instead and you would need to have at the minimum 2 Auditors at any one Audit (the other for the religious compliant).

Cheers,
Charles Chew
www.naturalmajor.com

GMO

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 2,796 posts
  • 721 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 01 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

I've had to have the rabbi in to bless the machines before! It's so bizarre!

cazyncymru

Grade - FIFSQN

• Banned
  • 1,604 posts
  • 341 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:48 AM

I've had to have the rabbi in to bless the machines before! It's so bizarre!

So have i! ....... for a nominal fee of course!

Focal food

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 10 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

Hi,
Adding this a bit late in the game. But I use to work with a spice company that was Kosher certified. I was chatting to the Rabbi one day about all the rules and it is pretty interesting. In Jewish faith, cracked black peppercorns and various other spices are not allowed during pass over ( could have been the other way round, but cant quite remember) I do however remember that black pepper was a problem. It makes sense that it was a food safety thing, as aflatoxins can occur in high concentrations in pepper and therefore would have been a food safety hazard in absence of testing.

I do believe alot of the laws were for safety side of things that have now become part of religions. Possibly some student should do a thesis on it one day :-)

Norah- Ann

Norah Hayes
Focal Food
www.focalfood.co.za

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 07 November 2008 - 08:33 PM

I do believe alot of the laws were for safety side of things that have now become part of religions. Possibly some student should do a thesis on it one day :-)

And perhaps not always wholly relevant in today's world with modern food preservation handling and storage methods.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users