• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

Dear All,

I would like to know how often are the UV bulbs of Electronic fly killer being changed.We do it on a yearly basis. Is there any reference regarding this.

Regards,

J

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 02 May 2008 - 01:48 AM

Dear Jean:

My reference is based on the supplier's recommendation stated in the manual of the UV insect light trap.

However, someone also recommended to me that if you found a sudden drop in the numbers of insects caught, don't be too happy. You may need to investigate the 'shelf-life' of the light bulb especially those who on it for 24 hours non-stop.

Any comment from the rest?

Yong

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:52 AM

Dear Yong YM,

I don't see any reference - only me ??

Personally, hv noticed some correlation to the efficiency of zapping large insects like moths which presumably take more power. No specific data but I think many tubes fail in less than a year.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

YongYM

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 231 posts
  • 57 thanks
Neutral

• Malaysia
    Malaysia
  • Interests:Reading, Watching TV, Singing Karaoke & Sight-seeing

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:39 AM

Dear Charles C.:

Sorry I did not attach the manual. The Brand of the insect light trap is Gilbert, from USA.

Yong

Edited by YongYM, 03 May 2008 - 01:40 AM.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 May 2008 - 07:45 AM

Dear Yong,

Many thks. I followed up yr info. and one useful link which details yr brand (with same 1yr replacement suggested) is -

http://www.critterri...com/gilbert.htm

This remarkable US site appears to be passionately devoted to the control of all types of creatures. (I found the idea of electric shock devices for house control of cats rather alarming, especially the last line - "works when all else fails")

I noticed they recommend placing insectocuters low down if possible which is not usual IMEX. Not sure if this is because most species are not "high-flyers" :biggrin:

Rgds / Charles.C

added - subsequently noticed an explanation for low positioning, never knew this, maybe geographical ? -

Place wall mounted Fly traps down low to best catch day-flying insects like the housefly. Ceiling traps for fly control will catch flies; but it is the flies nature to be below five feet high (even skimming the floor) when they are most responsive to fly traps.

Ceiling-hung Flytraps are the trap of choice for night-fliers (such as stored product moths). They have a tendency to fly at higher heights in buildings. However, night-fliers respond to light quicker and from farther distances than day-fliers and can usually be handled with a well designed system consisting primarily of low, wall-mounted flytraps

http://www.pestcontr...aps_gilbert.htm

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 05 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

I have a bit of an issue with 'use by' dates. :helpplease: The UV bulb manufacturers want you to buy fresh bulbs every year regardless of whether they are kaput or not. I have some athletes foot powder that expired in 2002, but it's full. :whistle: I have a little patch of AF and used the powder and it worked fine (OK maybe my foot will fall off next week :thumbup: ). \in reality it probably won't. Is there a device for measuring UV light output?

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

sheeja

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 6 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Arab Emirates
    United Arab Emirates

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:01 AM

Jean,

What I suggest is to follow the manufacturers advice.Also if we have qualified engineering technicians they can also help in finding out the right quality products.

thanks
Sheeja

Bunny

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Good Food, Wine, Beer and other Spirits and of course Pest Control in the food industry.

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:46 PM

Why do you have an "issue" with use by dates Simon? :biggrin:

The uv tubes are ok until they are used, then the constituant uv light emitted by the bulb degrades over a period with a definative peak and trough over an approximate period of between 6 and 9 months dependant on the manufacture of tube until the bulb is depleted.

In the uk the peak period of flying insect activity is obviously spring through summer, then the bulbs should be changed and machines serviced in April/May to benefit the client and their IPM needs.

It is`nt rocket science and the hand held devises to check for levels of UV output are available. But like everything else each of us have our specialities I`m only interested in pest control :thumbup:

Then again different species have different suseptabilities to the uv light, lesser houseflies Fannia canicularis do not respond or enter EFK`s yet drisophila species will enter readily but the client invariably have the wrong type of EFK on site and then find them worthless.

Just a view from the other side,

Bunny :biggrin:

Edited by Bunny, 17 May 2008 - 08:52 PM.

"If you think it is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
Red Adair, American Oil Well Firefighter.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:35 AM

Dear Bunny,

Thks, very interesting to the zap community. By other side I presume you mean the "light" one.

Then again different species have different suseptabilities to the uv light, lesser houseflies Fannia canicularis do not respond or enter EFK`s yet drisophila species will enter readily but the client invariably have the wrong type of EFK on site and then find them worthless.

So, out of curiosity, what kind of EFK is required in former case (sorry fannia lovers :smile: ) ??

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Bunny

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Good Food, Wine, Beer and other Spirits and of course Pest Control in the food industry.

Posted 17 May 2008 - 08:58 PM

Charles,

In my opinion, you would be better to look to proofing and keeping the Fannia out of the building in the first instance.

As they are not susceptible to UV light then no EFK made will do the trick for you, look to physical barriers such as fly screens or strip curtains.

Regards

Edited by Bunny, 17 May 2008 - 08:59 PM.

"If you think it is expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 18 May 2008 - 08:07 PM

Why do you have an "issue" with use by dates Simon? :biggrin:

Well you know, I'm a grumpy old bugger who thinks everyone is out to make a quick buck, usually at my expense. Rightly or wrongly I assume best before, use by, you need another one quick dates are only half truths and are there to ensure the wheels of industry are greased. Now we've got your expert input we know that UV tubes are an exception to my paranoic rule.

Thanks Bunny, it helps to get comments from someone who knows what they are talking about. :smarty:

Simon

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:11 AM

Dear All,

Firstly, sorry for the late reply and thanks for the inputs. The UV bulbs in our unit are due to be replaced next month. During a chitchat with our pest controller, I casually asked as to who recommends the UV bulbs replacement yearly and whether they measure the UV light emission before changing etc…He replied saying it is EFK manufacturer who recommends the lights to be changed every year depending on the type of EFK.

I have seen blue and green lights being used in many places and the reason being is, blue lights are effective in the morning especially for attracting the houseflies and the green ones in the evening for the night or evening fliers like fruit flies or drain flies.

As Charles quoted the low positioned (1m above from the ground) and placed in a corner side is effective for the house flies and as per the pest controller compared to the hanging type which is fixed at 2m. The efficiency of EFK depends on the area of coverage and right location where it is installed.

Regards,

J

Best regards,

J

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning. The quest quotient has always excited me more than the intelligence quotient. Eugene S Wilson

Piyush0680

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:19 AM

Hi all,

Last week, I attended one presentation from Johnson Diversey on fly control. It was a eye opener session for me as I was not aware of so many things about flies. First, flies are blind and cannot see the normal lights and so they are attracted to UV lights. Second, the optimum height of IOC should be around 2m above the ground. Also, the optimum UV tube life is 10-11 months.

In our plant, we have different UV lights...green, blue and sky blue. I was not knowing the effects of green light typically....thanks Jean for the info. But still, I am looking for some instrument with which I can check the frequency of UV light as effectiveness of sky blue tubes seems to be uncertain to me.

Do anyone have the info on any instrument used to check UV light wavelength and cost of it?

Regards,

Piyush Mishra

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:17 AM

Hi Piyush, thanks for your input and welcome to the forums. :smile:

Can anybody help with this query?

Do anyone have the info on any instrument used to check UV light wavelength and cost of it?

Bunny

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

Try this one for size, it`s what I use for my routine inspections and is very useful

Attached File  uva_meter.jpg   6.8KB   43 downloads

Available from my pest control equipment suppliers here in the UK.

Edited by Bunny, 24 June 2008 - 09:38 PM.

Piyush0680

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hi Bunny,

Thanks for the photo of the instrument. Can you forward more information on this instrument, like cost, method of use and its effectiveness? I got some quotations from Johnson Diversey but didn't find them user friendly.

Thanks,

Piyush Mishra

Bunny

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 32 posts
  • 13 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:58 PM

Hello Piyush,

Here is the address for their website KILLGERM

all the details are there if you enter a search for UV light meter, alternatively telephone their technical department they are very good

Bunny :thumbup:

Edited by Bunny, 27 June 2008 - 10:59 PM.

Piyush0680

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 22 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:33 AM

Thanks Bunny, the site is really useful.

Amal

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

Hi,
As per our leading and recognised pest control agency is PCI in India.
As per our requirment each UV bulb has a shelf life of 6000 to 9000 hrs.

Amal

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

Tubes in the EFKs should be replaced at least annually shortly before the main flying insect season begins.

Regards,

Tony

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:48 AM

before the main flying insect season begins

Sounds like Formula 1 :smile:

9000 / 24 = 375 days. Eureka ! Presumably it's 2 years in Scotland.

Or when it flickers after 6 months perhaps ? :smile: (Do they flicker ?)

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 06 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

Tubes in the EFKs should be replaced at least annually shortly before the main flying insect season begins.

An annual bulb change March / April is what I've always experienced and is the norm in the UK. If the 6,000 to 9,000 hours life is accurate then that would fit as the bulbs would be degrading in winter when there is little or no insect activity. One thing on that 6,000 to 9,000 hours bulb life seems like a very large range to me.

I’d be interested to hear how bulb changes are managed in other regions where perhaps it’s a little (a lot) hotter year round. Perhaps Charles’s flicker method is used.

Regards,
Simon

Jean

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 429 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:28 AM

Hi Simon,

We have a regulatory requirement to change the UV bulbs on an annual basis. Morover we inspect the fly killers every month and always tend to find more than one fly dead in the tray. I believe this prooves the efficiency of the UV lights.
Posted Image

Best regards,

J

sivaipm

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 31 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

Hi all,

Last week, I attended one presentation from Johnson Diversey on fly control. It was a eye opener session for me as I was not aware of so many things about flies. First, flies are blind and cannot see the normal lights and so they are attracted to UV lights. Second, the optimum height of IOC should be around 2m above the ground. Also, the optimum UV tube life is 10-11 months.

In our plant, we have different UV lights...green, blue and sky blue. I was not knowing the effects of green light typically....thanks Jean for the info. But still, I am looking for some instrument with which I can check the frequency of UV light as effectiveness of sky blue tubes seems to be uncertain to me.

Regards,

Piyush Mishra

The wavelength of the machines need not be checked. It is the wattage of the light emitted that needs to be checked. When the bulb is new, you may get UVA of 3 Watts in a normal 18 Watts bulb. OVver a period of time, this reduces and if it reaches less than .5 watt, the efficacy of attracting flies will reduce and you may go for a change of the bulb.

There are machines available namely Lutron UV-340

Sivakumar

IPM and Fumigation India

kevsismithhistheking

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 02 March 2020 - 12:39 PM