Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 23 April 2021 - 11:18 PM

Hi good day to all, may I ask if there is a "pest control risk assessment"?.. Is this to help assess (effectiveness) the pest control program? Thank you,

foodsafetymuse

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 April 2021 - 08:32 PM

Hi,

I am uncertain of the context of your question, so I will work off of assumption. I assume you are wanting to conduct a risk assessment to determine your integrated pest management (IPM) system. For any operation in your facility, one can conduct a risk assessment. (i.e. pest control, environmental monitoring, supplier approval, etc.) In the context of pest control I would evaluate the risks specific to your operation, employees, and product.

For example I would consider:

• The region in which you are located and the pest pressures that are inherent to this region
  • The factors of your building:
    • How is food received?
      • Bulk rail car, bulk truck
      • Individually portioned packages
      • Bulk packages
    • Stored?
      • (for example, if you store grain in sealed containers vs. bulk packaging vs. silos. Each scenario would require different levels of pest management)
    • What products are you storing?
      • Evaluate the pests that are naturally attracted to said products and develop your IPM accordingly
    • And what pests are inherent to the product? (i.e. grain and grain beetles)

Those are a few examples of factors I would recommend evaluating in your risk assessment. After determining all of your inputs to evaluate, determine risk level as you would with a standard risk assessment based on severity and likelihood.

I hope this helps.

-C

Food Safety Muse

@@food_muse

Thanked by 1 Member:

msmcipm

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 20 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 25 April 2021 - 04:03 AM

Hi,

I am uncertain of the context of your question, so I will work off of assumption. I assume you are wanting to conduct a risk assessment to determine your integrated pest management (IPM) system. For any operation in your facility, one can conduct a risk assessment. (i.e. pest control, environmental monitoring, supplier approval, etc.) In the context of pest control I would evaluate the risks specific to your operation, employees, and product.

For example I would consider:

• The region in which you are located and the pest pressures that are inherent to this region
  • The factors of your building:
    • How is food received?
      • Bulk rail car, bulk truck
      • Individually portioned packages
      • Bulk packages
    • Stored?
      • (for example, if you store grain in sealed containers vs. bulk packaging vs. silos. Each scenario would require different levels of pest management)
    • What products are you storing?
      • Evaluate the pests that are naturally attracted to said products and develop your IPM accordingly
    • And what pests are inherent to the product? (i.e. grain and grain beetles)

Those are a few examples of factors I would recommend evaluating in your risk assessment. After determining all of your inputs to evaluate, determine risk level as you would with a standard risk assessment based on severity and likelihood.

I hope this helps.

-C

Thank you very on this. 

Actually we already have a pest control program, and there`s someone (from our organization) told us to assess our pest control program by using pest risk assessment. can anyone could share sample of "pest risk assessment". 

foodsafetymuse

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 April 2021 - 09:59 PM

Hi,

I am clear on the fact that you already have a pest control program. A risk assessment assesses the risk of an activity, service, biological hazard, physical hazard, etc. In order to get an answer to your question, you must provide more information about what you are trying to achieve. Simply asking for a "pest control risk assessment" will not yield an explanation or step by step directions on how to achieve an unknown goal. Risk assessments are tailored to your organization and the variables specific to that process and inputs.

Let's try this again -- Someone in your organization asked you to conduct a risk assessment which pertains to the pest control program that already exists in your facility. With this very limited information and no supporting or background information, I will make assumptions to try and assist.

Which of these scenarios is applicable? Pest control risk assessments:

• Pest control risk assessment which evaluates the risks of the pest control service to food safety. (i.e. the equipment, the chemicals being used, etc.) How these factors could affect food safety?
  • Pest control risk assessment which evaluates the risks of the pest control service in regards to food defense. (i.e. security risks of the service provider being in the building, having access to secure areas, etc.)
    • In this scenario the FDA has a free Food Defense Plan Builder tool

Food Safety Muse

@@food_muse

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:26 AM

Hi good day to all, may I ask if there is a "pest control risk assessment"?.. Is this to help assess (effectiveness) the pest control program? Thank you,

Hi msm,

Safefood 360 offer a generic risk assessment approach to GMP topics if you are interested,ie -

Attached File  Safefood360,Risk Assessment.ppt   1.55MB   279 downloads

For more direct approach, can see Rentokil document in your previous thread - 

https://www.ifsqn.co...es/#entry168981

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 1 Member:

TimG

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 642 posts
  • 191 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 26 April 2021 - 01:08 PM

Good morning Msmc.

there`s someone (from our organization) told us to assess our pest control program by using pest risk assessment

Most food safety standards have a requirement for a pest control.. (review, risk assessment, facility risk, etc.)

• Did you reach out to that 'someone' and ask them what they had in mind?
  • Did you review your standards to determine if you have specific requirements that need to be met for that?
  • Did you contact your PCO and ask them if they have one created for you?
    • ​Ecolab calls theirs an IPM Review-Assessment
    • Rentokill/steritech calls theirs an IPM Facility Assessment 

Ryan M.

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,326 posts
  • 479 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Reading, crosswords, passionate discussions, laughing at US politics.

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:36 PM

I would contact your PCO and have them do one for you.  The person conducting it should be independent of your regular PCO, such as their manager or supervisor.  As TimG mentioned ECOLAB does this for all of their accounts, and I'm sure most other major Pest Control companies do as well.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users