• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:56 AM

Hi
I've been a member for the past two years (mostly In-active) You live in the same area of the country as myself, so I thought it was a good place to start to ask for some information. I've been searching for a NPD course, and the only one I've found is a five day course costing just over £1.000. Do you know of any training providers that could be cheaper?

Thanks for your colourful introduction Mr BH Soh, the best way to network here is to join the discussions and share ideas and experience with other members.

:welcome:

Regards,
Simon

Anish

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 158 posts
  • 74 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

Do you mean NPD as New Product Development?

• min likes this

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:32 PM

Yes Anish I think NPD means New Product Development. Count can we ask what kind of product development as NPD is a very wide area.

Regards,
Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Jomy Abraham

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 96 posts
  • 40 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

In general we can define something to support you

Product Development is the responsibility of Technical team. But the department is directly linked or functionaly reporting to the Sales Department. In order to achieve the business targets, the requirement/specification of the Market requirement is normally provided by the Sales/Marketing dept. Once the Marketing dept identifies the potential demand in the market ( either new product to the industry or the requirement of a specific client), the NPD team shall communicate/discuss with the customer to understand the technical requirement of the customer. If its a requirement identified through the market survey, the NPD team should study the exact requirment of the consumer preferances. Once they understand the product, next step is to identify the ingredients of the product. Then identify the percentage of each ingredient. Once they develop the samples (1 kg or 250 gm), next step is to match with the sample ( if there is any reference sample, try to compare the sensory and textural profile of the product). Once the sample is developed, next step is to define a process flow. Then identify the production capability. Then conduct a trial in the plant and ensure that the product can be produced in your units. If the production is failed due to the production capability issues, identify the resource requirement to develop new process technologies and recomend to the organization. If the production trial is sucess, identify the cost of the product. Once costing is completed, discuss with the sales department about the current cost of the product. They will calculate the sales price of this product and discuss with the customer. If the customer is not satisfied with the cost facotrs, sales department will give a feedbakc. Then NPD team should try to reduce the cost of the product by adding/deleting the cheaper/costly ingredient combinations. MAke sure that there should not be any drastic variations from the target product profile. While defining the process technologies, we should define the input requirements, mill settings, pressure setting, temperature and time settings etc (depends on the type of the product) and calculate the conversion factors of the product. This will help to define the yield of the product. Second part is the development of product informantion like ingredients, percentage, specification of the product like sensory profile, chemical specs, micro specs, packaging requirement, shelf life, storage criterias, allergen declarations and other statutory requirements. Sensory skill is important in case of any seasonings based products. In general, identification of COST EFFECTIVE product technology and process technology is the base target of NPD team.

Please excuse if I am theoretically wrong!!:rolleyes:

Regards
Jomy Abraham

Hi
I've been a member for the past two years (mostly In-active) You live in the same area of the country as myself, so I thought it was a good place to start to ask for some information. I've been searching for a NPD course, and the only one I've found is a five day course costing just over £1.000. Do you know of any training providers that could be cheaper?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users