Milos Vasic

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:29 AM

Hello to all,
I would like to know if there are maybe some new techniques or machinery to be used in controlling of raw materials when they come into warehouse. We import lot of grain products(flakes, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, dried fruit) and frequently we are forced to do the fumigation, very often we find that raw materials that were inspected on arrival show to be infested with the Indian Meal MothPlodia Interpunctela, or the Wheat weevils (Sitophilus). What is the best way to control this since so far we only reacted after development of problem with fumigation inside warehouse under cover?

dgsorg

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 18 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My wife and kids, drag racing, playing music, reading.

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

if you have the capabilities to do so, you might try heat treating product to 140 degrees F (60 C) for one hour, or 120 degrees F (49 C) for two hours. This should at least reduce the problems.

ericcaces

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Chile
    Chile

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

Hello

Us in our company we have the same problem with Plodia interpunctella, to mitigate the contamination by treatment with aluminum phosphide, with the technique of Speedbox (Degesch) all raw materials. This processing is performed in a maritime container type.

For treatment of Wheat Weevils (Sitophilus), you can use Insec-o-graph
http://www.ars.usda....2010/100624.htm

Best regards,

Milos Vasic

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

Posted 26 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for the answers.

Unfortunately we cannot treat materials with hot air because we are suppliers of raw materials I am afraid that some would with even slightest temperatures change sense wise and since these materials are in bags (25kg) there is no possibility for correct and even heating. Idea for the Speedbox is interesting since we already do the fumigation under the thick polyethylene covers,(which can be dangerous). Did you built your Speedbox under some instructions or you have bought it? I have contacted company about Insect-o-math.
Do you maybe know how does fumigation with phosphide affect safety of the raw material? Is it connected with amount of moisture in product?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users