• Quick Navigation
Photo

Is protective footwear needed in low risk packing facility?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ElaineMcM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:47 AM

Hi there

Just wondering if I could get some advice - I have recently started a new job as a QA Manager in a raw vegetable packing facility. I am working on our PPE policy at the minute. We wear protective coats, hair nets and gloves and staff loading and unloading lorries have protective boots to wear. I am just checking to see if there is a requirement for floor staff to wear protective white footwear or can they wear their own shoes as long as they are clean? I can't find much information on this!

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

Hi there

Just wondering if I could get some advice - I have recently started a new job as a QA Manager in a raw vegetable packing facility. I am working on our PPE policy at the minute. We wear protective coats, hair nets and gloves and staff loading and unloading lorries have protective boots to wear. I am just checking to see if there is a requirement for floor staff to wear protective white footwear or can they wear their own shoes as long as they are clean? I can't find much information on this!

Thanks

Dear Elaine,

Are you tying to satisfy any particular standard ?

The (micro. hygienic) answer may depend on yr Listeria policy, if any.

Rgds / Charles.C

PS (added) -these 2 packinghouse viewpoints (SQF Guidance 2000 quotes, Canadian, respectively)  may help a bit - 

Employees  and  Visitors  must  wear  clean  outer  garments  and  footwear.    Employees  and  Visitors  with excessively  soiled  clothing  will  not  handle  products  or  Packaging  Materials.    Employees  and  Visitors working  in  product  production  areas  (farm)  should  not  handle  processed  product  unless  they  have cleaned-up and changed their clothing.  In high risks processes, employees must not wear processing uniforms  off  site.    Employees who  are  not  engaged  in  high  risk  processes  can wear  uniforms  off  site provided that they are properly cleaned at the beginning of their work operation.  Clothing includes work cloths,  overalls,  boots,  shoe  coverings,  head  coverings,  hair  nets,  smocks,  frocks,  beard  snoods  and coats. 

You may provide additional outdoor lunchroom facilities (picnic tables) where they do not pose a dust or pest  hazard  to  the  processing  area  of  the  Plant.  Covered  facilities  and  sealed  paths  are  one  way  to address  these  hazards.  Where  hazards  presented  by  such  facilities  are  minimal,  you  may  employ alternative controls, such as routine cleaning of tables and steps to minimize dust on non-sealed paths.  
Foot  baths  also  provide  another  means  to  ensure  that  foot  traffic  does  not  bring  dust  or  other contaminants into the processing area if practical to do so. 

Attached File  Greenhouse Manual 2013.pdf   2.01MB   77 downloads

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 2 Members:

ElaineMcM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Charles.C

I am trying to see if we meet BRC Issue 6 under section 7.4.. It doesn't give specific guidance about footwear so I have been looking for clarification to see if we are covered. I think that we are.

Thanks again!

ol_ok

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 11 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

Hi Elaine

I'd say from a health & safety point of view if nothing else you'd be mad not to have everyone in safety shoes/boots of some sort!  I know when I worked in a veg packhouse we had black safety boots but as far as I remember we were free to wear them outside the factory.  Actually, I remember one lad turning up at a staff night out wearing his safety trainers....classy lad!!!  That was BRC version a lot less than 6 days though :)

Olivia

Thanked by 1 Member:

ElaineMcM

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 7 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Ireland
    Ireland

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Charles.C and Olivia

Thanks for all your advice! Just thought id comment and say that I've included the use of protective footwear in my PPE policy - Its not going down well among some of the staff but with perseverance it should fall into place.

Thanks

Elaine

sandy soni

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

High care and High risk area requires to maintain clean and hygienic conditions therefore it is imperative to have clean clothing and foot ware to work inside. There is no requirement/need to have footware for low risk area.

Sandeep Soni 

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users