• Quick Navigation
Photo

Could someone give me a crash course in flex film pouches?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

SPL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:55 PM

Could someone give me a crash course in flex film pouches? In particular methods and test for destructive and non-destructive inspections. What parameters in general should I be looking at? Is compression tester, an appropriate tools for line testing?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:58 AM

The packaging and the forming/filling equipment suppliers would normally be the best people to consult.

I have used a vacuum test in the past to check packaging integrity and that works quite well in identifying leaks/weak areas but would be followed by destructive testing to identify the reason for the leak.

Regards,

Tony

SPL

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 85 posts
  • 21 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

The packaging and the forming/filling equipment suppliers would normally be the best people to consult.

I have used a vacuum test in the past to check packaging integrity and that works quite well in identifying leaks/weak areas but would be followed by destructive testing to identify the reason for the leak.

Regards,

Tony

Was that an offline vacuum tester?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Was that an offline vacuum tester?

Yes it was.

We supplied products to airlines, it was very effective at detecting leaks & weak seals.

Regards,

Tony

swanswal

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 38 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Infinite Improbability Drives

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:34 AM

The answer does depend to a large extent on the pouch making and sealing operation itself.  eg, do you make the pouches from reel stock or do you use pre-formed pouches which you fill and seal.  Which do you use?

Assuming the latter, typically you are looking at overall pouch integrity (pin holes, supplier seal defects, and sealing defects caused by your own sealing process).  Tests are somewhat dependent on material inside the pouch.  What are you filling?  The issue here is that some test methods are not suitable for particulates suspended in fluid.

Tony-C is correct in suggesting you approach a packaging consultant intimately familiar with then type of packaging and product application.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users