• Quick Navigation
Photo

Does AIB require any kind of document control?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic
- - - - -

AJ1795

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

Does AIB require any kind of document control?  I've tried contacting AIB about this and can't seem to get a straight answer.  We are just starting to write and implement programs and, as such, there is constant editing!  I want to get programs and SOPs out to people and start training but am weary to do so if I have to retrain on every revision.  Does anyone know about document control in an AIB audit?  Or have any other advice on how to start implementing programs when the entire quality system is not yet completed?  It seems every time I write a new program, I have to go back and edit ten others! 

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

AIB is a GMP based inspection, and there are few quality issues in the standards.  They are checking to make sure that food safety is not compromised because of poor document handling.  in my experience, ISO 9001 has more strict document control requirements, so if you are ISO 9001 certified, your program should be OK.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Thanked by 1 Member:

mgourley

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,403 posts
  • 997 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cooking, golf, firearms, food safety and sanitation.

Posted 20 March 2015 - 03:35 PM

AIB does not have any "requirements" for document control.

It is best practice however to make sure only the current revision of a document is in use.

It's also best practice to retrain if major changes have been made to a document.

Minor revisions, as long as they do not impact the "purpose" of the document to not need to be trained out.

An informal "we added this checkbox here" discussion with the users of the document will suffice.

Marshall

Thanked by 1 Member:

Kellio

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 156 posts
  • 72 thanks
Good

• Puerto Rico
    Puerto Rico

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:00 PM

Document control will depend on the Standard. If I am not mistaken FDA and FSMA only says that whatever document control implemented, it is up to the organization to be consistent with revisions and changes documented. ISO and some GFSI Standards  are  more detailed about how you manage your documents and the responsibilities for document management has to be clearly define.

lkosler

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:BRC Food Safety

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:58 PM

What type of audit ?

Our BRC certification body is AIB and the BRC standard requirements does have a documentation control program. With that being said - if you are taking the time to write programs and implement SOP's - a document control program is a good idea.  I understand how everything is intertwined when your first starting out.  I used a spreadsheet with tabs - the 1st tab had all of my programs, another tab has working documents such as documents used on the work floor ((pre-start up check sheet), another tab had all of our SOP's on it.  When writing a program any type of document that was used for that program is referenced in the written program.  At first, it is very overwhelming and programs are intertwined.  Using the spreadsheet helped to keep everything organized and as you move from program to program and progress you will gain clarity. 

Keep plugging away at it.  You'll get there!

Thanked by 1 Member:

AJ1795

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:02 PM

What type of audit ?

Our BRC certification body is AIB and the BRC standard requirements does have a documentation control program. With that being said - if you are taking the time to write programs and implement SOP's - a document control program is a good idea.  I understand how everything is intertwined when your first starting out.  I used a spreadsheet with tabs - the 1st tab had all of my programs, another tab has working documents such as documents used on the work floor ((pre-start up check sheet), another tab had all of our SOP's on it.  When writing a program any type of document that was used for that program is referenced in the written program.  At first, it is very overwhelming and programs are intertwined.  Using the spreadsheet helped to keep everything organized and as you move from program to program and progress you will gain clarity. 

Keep plugging away at it.  You'll get there!

We are just doing the AIB GMP audit to start with but will hopefully move on from there. Thank you for the spreadsheet idea, I think that will be very helpful for us! 

lkosler

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:BRC Food Safety

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

We are just doing the AIB GMP audit to start with but will hopefully move on from there. Thank you for the spreadsheet idea, I think that will be very helpful for us! 

That is how we started.  I'm amazed at how far we have come in such a few years.  You will be way ahead of the game if you get organized now.  Good Luck with everything!

AJ1795

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 March 2015 - 09:16 PM

That is how we started.  I'm amazed at how far we have come in such a few years.  You will be way ahead of the game if you get organized now.  Good Luck with everything!

Thanks!

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users