Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:28 PM

We have a dumpster outside the building full of empty  sugar bags. It attract lot of wasp in summer months. It is emptied weekly and washed but still we have lots of insects. Any suggestions please !

Thanks

Lada

MWidra

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 778 posts
  • 314 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:My Dogs (Beagles),Gardening, SciFi, Video Games (WoW, D3, HoS, PvZ), Classical Music, Legal Stuff, Science Stuff. I'm a Geeky Nerd.

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

We have a dumpster outside the building full of empty  sugar bags. It attract lot of wasp in summer months. It is emptied weekly and washed but still we have lots of insects. Any suggestions please !

Thanks

Lada

I would talk to your pest control company.  They may have something that can be used outside a food plant that will keep them away.  I kept wasps from building nests in my personal outdoor shed by putting moth balls into it.  But I'm not sure if there is a way to put them around the dumpster safely that would not create a hazard for your employees, wildlife, local pets, or local children.

Good luck, but remember, winter is coming.

Martha

"...everything can be taken from a man but one thing:  the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."  Viktor E. Frankl

"Life's like a movie, write your own ending."  The Muppets

Ian R

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 121 posts
  • 40 thanks
Good

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

Hi Lada

When I worked in honey processing we had a similar problem with any flying insect that was black and yellow taking a serious interest in any empty honey drums.

We found the most effective option in the summer months was to give them something even more attractive than the empty drums.

You could always guarantee that in any container of honey would be at least one drum that was damaged and usable.

We put that at the far end of the site, especially away from the neighbours, they can really upset when they see loads of bees and wasps, we would cut the top off the drum and let nature takes it courses.

It literally was a honey trap, well attraction anyway.

rdgs

Plastic Ducky

Director of Food Safety

• IFSQN Member
  • 175 posts
  • 42 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:FDA, USDA, SQF, BRC, FSMA, FSM (Flying Spaghetti Monsterism), Acidified Foods, LAFC, using a spotlight to hunt C.H.U.D.s at night, cooking, mycology, the middle path, epistemology, waffles, and being an all around student

Posted 30 September 2015 - 04:56 PM

I agree with MWidra totally. Have your professional pest control service get after them with what ever works the best and is approved environmentally. Tell 'em to put some stank on it!

-or-

Dress up like a huge Bee and Buzzzzz and jump around and lead the other bees away from your facility like the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users