• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 01 March 2016 - 09:41 PM

Hi

I have some doubts about the FSSC 22000 scheme.

In the ISO/TS 22002-1 clause 10.2 microbiological cross-contamination shows the following:

"Areas where potential for microbiological cross-contamination exists (airborne or from traffic patterns) shall be identified and a segregation (zoning) plan implemented"

but this standard doesn't explain what kind of decision tree I should use. ¿could the BRC decision tree be used in this case?

For ready to eat products which are thermally treated after packaging, ¿would there be any possibility to have a high risk area if this product is already protected? I'm not sure if in a FSSC 22000 scheme there must be a filtered air system in case of identifying a high risk zone or is recommendable if there are other control measures.

Thanks

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 02 March 2016 - 06:24 PM

Hi

I have some doubts about the FSSC 22000 scheme.

In the ISO/TS 22002-1 clause 10.2 microbiological cross-contamination shows the following:

"Areas where potential for microbiological cross-contamination exists (airborne or from traffic patterns) shall be identified and a segregation (zoning) plan implemented"

but this standard doesn't explain what kind of decision tree I should use. ¿could the BRC decision tree be used in this case?

For ready to eat products which are thermally treated after packaging, ¿would there be any possibility to have a high risk area if this product is already protected? I'm not sure if in a FSSC 22000 scheme there must be a filtered air system in case of identifying a high risk zone or is recommendable if there are other control measures.

Thanks

Hi FerranFlo,

I’m not a user of iso22000 so please consider this response as speculative.

As quoted, yr text  is incomplete. The additional text in section 10 / iso22002-1 may also apply, eg regarding RTE product. (process unknown)

It seems to me that the likelihood of any airborne micro. contamination is evaluated/controlled  via PRPs  which respond to section 6.4, viz –

Attached File  air, iso22002-1.png   279.56KB   8 downloads

Potential traffic-related contamination is presumably able to be assessed visually.

The requirements of the text in section 10 may IMO be more readily understood by this fssc/iso22002-1 checklist which has rather simpler English  text –

Attached File  fssc22000-(iso22002-1) Requirements and additional FSSC Requirements,2014.pdf   94.25KB   911 downloads

To answer yr specific question, I daresay any methodology to perform the hazard assessment can be used as long as it can be validated. I don’t think the BRC zoning tree is related to airborne/traffic contamination though.

Other users of fssc22000 may have more direct familiarity with the necessary responses (if any) to section 10. It surely may relate to yr product/process also.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Thanked by 3 Members:

FerranFlo

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 19 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Spain
    Spain

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:01 PM

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your information. The fssc/iso 22002-1 checklist will be very useful to check each clause individually.

I was worried about the zoning requirements. I didn't know if FSSC 22000 considers this kind of requirements like the BRC scheme (specific changing room, layout, etc...). I haven't seen this kind of requirement in the whole FSSC 22000 standard, at first sight, FSSC seems to be less restrictive than BRC.

Regards

Thanked by 1 Member:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:12 PM

Hi FerranFlo,

I guess its important to remember that FSSC22000 is based around ISO generic principles even if iso22002-1 was added to achieve a measure of prescriptiveness to match GFSI's requirement.

I think people who are familiar with iso9001 tend to have less problems with the basic structure of the FSSC-FSMS system.

As far as haccp/risk assessment is concerned the innovation in fssc/iso22000 (ie iso-haccp) is a kind of refocussing on control measures rather than step CCPs as in traditional Codex haccp, plus the introduction of OPRP. It helps to read iso22004 to appreciate this part of the fssc22000 philosophy. IMO the addition of OPRP as presented by ISO22000 is a disappointment/mistake but that's just my opinion.

You might find the excel sheet in this model fssc presentation for the haccp portion for yoghurt of interest but please note that there are many ways of doing this which would likely be equally acceptable for audit purposes -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ge-7#entry50651

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

carine

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 361 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 09 July 2016 - 03:09 AM

Hi all, 

In ISO/TS 22002-1:2009 clause 18 food defence,  biovigilance and bioterrorism , I was wondering what are the measure or write up that ur guys put in this clause? Tks in advance

Bhawani Gorti

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Active
  • 48 posts
  • 23 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Food safety and compliance expert

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:08 AM

Thanks Charlies

B T Gorti