• Quick Navigation
Photo

What topics should I cover with training?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Sabear

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 December 2017 - 05:51 PM

I am hoping that someone can guide me in the right direction.

I work for a small business and this is my first time dealing with SQF.

We currently have a PPT over food safety, which just goes over a few of the modules in the standard. And then a quiz that follows

I am not sure if this is adequate, as it seems that most people on here train over several different topics.
​I want to implement more training, but am unsure what topics I should cover or go more in depth with. Does every training session require a quiz?

Another issue I am running into is that a large portion of the employees speak mainly Spanish, and unfortunately I am not bilingual.

Recap:

What should I be training over?

How do I go about training people in a different language?

Are tests required in order to verify that training was received?

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

I am hoping that someone can guide me in the right direction.

I work for a small business and this is my first time dealing with SQF.

We currently have a PPT over food safety, which just goes over a few of the modules in the standard. And then a quiz that follows

I am not sure if this is adequate, as it seems that most people on here train over several different topics.
​I want to implement more training, but am unsure what topics I should cover or go more in depth with. Does every training session require a quiz?

Another issue I am running into is that a large portion of the employees speak mainly Spanish, and unfortunately I am not bilingual.

Recap:

What should I be training over?

How do I go about training people in a different language?

Are tests required in order to verify that training was received?

Hi Sarah,

Perhaps you cud  post yr existing PPT and ask for comments/suggestions ?

It sounds like you have been somewhat "thown in at the deep end" and also that you represent a 1-person QA system ?

I wonder if you hv considered a consultant (assuming a budget exists?)

I hope you also realize that SQF offer quite detailed, downloadable, free guidance documents related to  their Standard(s).

Regardless, you are only too welcome to ask for help on any/every FS aspect. Many (most) of us here have had to start from near-zero FS baselines. :wtg:

PS - IIRC there are numerous threads here on the options available where different languages hv to co-exist. Maybe browse a little.

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Sabear

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:15 PM

Thank you Charles, I believe posting the existing PPT would be very beneficial. But I will need time editing it to remove personal info from it.

I have taken the SQF training online, and am waiting to take HAACP. I am currently going to school for Quality Engineering Management and there was a lot of cross over. 

There is one other SQF individual but they are not here often. They want me to update the current system to the next Version(8).

I am very excited for this challenge, but don't want to overdo it.

The current training material is almost copy/paste from the SQF standard. 

SQFconsultant

SQFconsultant

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,632 posts
  • 1135 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Just when I thought I was out - They pulled me back in!!!

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

There are a number of training topics that need to be covered under SQF.

We just prepared a sheet detailing the training for a client that is going for certification this month - I would be happy to send you a copy, just visit us and send me an email as I need to redact sections of it.

Reference 2.9 section of Module 2 for setting up a traing matrix.

Also, you don't always have to do a quiz, verification that training was effective can be done by on the job observations, always remember the sign off per SQF requirements that training was effective.

Your training material as required by SQF needs to be in the language(s) as understood by your employees.

You'll need to either learn Spanish or find someone in the company that can deliver training in Spanish - granted there are programs for this, however ultimately you can't say that you are responsible for training and not be able to speak Spanish or you could use an interpreter. Then again, if you had an interpreter, that person should be doing the training.

Printed training materials and video/audio needs to be in Spanish and other applicable languages as needed.

All the Best,

All Rights Reserved,

Without Prejudice,

Glenn Oster.

Glenn Oster Consulting, LLC -

SQF System Development | Internal Auditor Training | eConsultant

Martha's Vineyard Island, MA - Restored Republic

http://www.GCEMVI.XYZ

http://www.GlennOster.com

Thanked by 4 Members:

Sabear

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 60 posts
  • 3 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:12 PM

Thank you so much Glenn. 

The other SQF member speaks Spanish, so I will talk to them about being the trainer over the material for the employees who I am unable to communicate with. 

I will be reaching out to you, I appreciate all the help you have been giving me.

zechzplz

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 31 posts
  • 15 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

Hi Sarah,

As others have mentioned, the SQF guidance documents are available! Per module 2 guidance for 2.9.2:

The following programs are considered the minimum required elements for employee training. They can be
offered as classroom training or on-the-job training by qualified personnel. Sometimes training can be offered
through team meetings. Type and depth of training will depend upon the employee’s work designation.
Requirements may include:
 Job/task performance
 Company food safety policies and procedures
 Good Manufacturing Practices, including regulatory compliance
 Cleaning and sanitation procedures
HACCP overview, and specific roles within the HACCP plan
 Bio security and food defense
 Chemical control
 Hazard communication
 Foodborne pathogens
 Allergen management
 Emergency preparedness

To give some perspective on how some people handle training, my company does a -

(1) recent hiree training and

(2) annual refresher training for several topics.

We have an annual overall Food Safe/GMP training that includes an overview of all the topics mentioned above, and we also have annual training classes that focus more on a specific subject e.g. Sanitation, Food Defense. The training doesn't need to all be done by you. We divide the training classes into departmental (taught by the supervisor to applicable personnel with assistance from the Training coordinator) and basic (taught to everyone).

Regarding job/task performance, I think it's important that you identify what SOP's are needed per job position and make sure you cover those in training. 

Good luck! Training is a big and very important part of a company! 

Thanked by 2 Members:

Peaches

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 134 posts
  • 123 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:59 AM

Good morning!  Adding two cents - we have three different languages spoken at our plant.  I use google translator for all of my printed training hand outs and then use a translator during the training session.  

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users