• Quick Navigation
Photo

What paperwork would an auditor be looking for in a packaging company?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
- - - - -

Karin1999

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 9 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• South Africa
    South Africa

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:09 AM

Our company mainly focusses on packaging manufacturing. As I am newly employed I would like to know what an auditor will be looking for in regards to paperwork and what the basic structure of the paperwork should be.

Thank you

Regards

Karin

jcieslowski

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 196 posts
  • 61 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

The question is, who will be auditing you?  Once you find that out, you'll want to ask them what standard they will be using.  Once you have a copy of the standard, you'll have a better idea of what they're looking for.

Thanked by 1 Member:

paulpaine

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 14 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:16 PM

We are a non-contact folding carton manufacturer and are certified under SQF modules 2 and 13.  

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 09 February 2018 - 08:27 PM

I've found this harder for packaging than other products. But basic paperwork requirements will be:

Records of inspection/monitoring/verification activities for your prerequisite programs (training, sanitation, pest control, maintenance, etc.).

Records of inspection/monitoring/verification of any safety/quality "Checks" performed during production.

Records that trace raw materials and downstream shipments of finished lots of product.

Records of specifications for your products.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Thanked by 1 Member:

lengland

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 10 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 15 February 2018 - 02:47 PM

Hi Karin,

I worked for over 8 years in quality for a flexible food packaging manufacturer in the US.  They were certified to AIB then switched to SQF level 3 while I was employed there. I certified as a Post-Farmgate SQF practitioner while helping with the certification change.  As long as you cover all the requirements in modules 2 & 13 you can make the "structure" of your paperwork however best works for the intended purpose. 

FurFarmandFork gave a good summary in his reply above.  The auditor will be looking for documented procedures for activities that cover the requirements of SQF code and documents that prove that you are doing the activities as the procedures instruct.      

On a side note, the packaging manufacturer I worked for made food contact packaging.  They had all the prerequisite programs set up very well and were able to have no critical control points in their HACCP plan. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users