• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

Hello all!

I am currently completing the Corrective Action Plan for SQF following a corrective action form provided by our auditor which includes root cause analysis, not too much trouble. However, mit also includes a requirement for Root Cause Evidence. I've looked up guidance and there isn't much to work with. This is the guidance given on the form he provided: "Proof that the Root Cause Analysis was completed and uncovered all possible causes of the non-conformance."

Example: We had a Non-Conformance on record keeping; an employee made a correction on paperwork using white-out. My Root Cause: Recordkeeping was not a required topic in our training program. Corrective Action: Included recordkeeping to Training & Education list of required trainings and on our training schedule. However, what can I offer as root cause evidence?

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you!

srich12

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 4 posts
  • 7 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:04 PM

We just completed our SQF V8 audit and are currently working on our corrective actions as well so I can speak to this for you. 

Our auditor explained that SQFI is really trying to get us to dig deeper and be more thorough with the root cause analysis that is done for each non-conformance.  In order to demonstrate the deeper level of root cause analysis, they are now requiring you to submit the record that is showing your five-whys, fish-bone diagram, etc. demonstrating that you have evaluated all possible avenues of root causes (and then obviously demonstrating the corrective action to each of the determined root causes if more than one is identified). 

I know it seems like a lot more work but if done correctly and deep enough, the effectiveness of the corrective actions taken should have better value and hopefully prevent repeat non-conformances. 

Hope that helps!

FurFarmandFork

Food Safety Consultant, Production Supervisor

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,264 posts
  • 590 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

Hello all!

I am currently completing the Corrective Action Plan for SQF following a corrective action form provided by our auditor which includes root cause analysis, not too much trouble. However, mit also includes a requirement for Root Cause Evidence. I've looked up guidance and there isn't much to work with. This is the guidance given on the form he provided: "Proof that the Root Cause Analysis was completed and uncovered all possible causes of the non-conformance."

Example: We had a Non-Conformance on record keeping; an employee made a correction on paperwork using white-out. My Root Cause: Recordkeeping was not a required topic in our training program. Corrective Action: Included recordkeeping to Training & Education list of required trainings and on our training schedule. However, what can I offer as root cause evidence?

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you!

You could complete a Fishbone analysis and demonstrate that you approached the issue from several angles and arrived at the root cause you identified.

Austin Bouck
Owner/Consultant at Fur, Farm, and Fork.
Consulting for companies needing effective, lean food safety systems and solutions.

Subscribe to the blog at furfarmandfork.com for food safety research, insights, and analysis.

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

I suggest that all the FS Standards find it progressively more difficult to comply with the necessity(?) to justify the launch of (yet another) new version. Notably the content needs to demonstrate "continuous Improvement". The result is an introducing of what might be called textual "tweeks".

ISO in their stumbling way may ultimately be the most honest. I believe they somewhere stipulate a minimum 5-year cycle before revamping ( = !0+ for iso22000 although iso22004 represents a pragmatic workaround).

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Timwoodbag

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 210 posts
  • 68 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 February 2018 - 03:24 PM

i just banned white out from the offices all together because even when I took them away from production they go upstairs and steal it from the girls.  I'd say the Root Cause of employees using white out is the fact that they have access to white-out.  

Hoosiersmoker

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 683 posts
  • 228 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 01 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

It would seem the proof for the RCA would be the white-out corrected document and list of topics covered in training and the lack of record correction therein.

redfox

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 481 posts
  • 163 thanks
Excellent

• Philippines
    Philippines

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

Hello,

IMO, what really the root cause is the lack of training and following through with re-training if the still use white-out. On the first place they do not know it is not allowed, and you have to add how to write the correct figure and crossing-out the wrong entry. It is the food safety culture that we are aiming so that even with minimum supervision they know what to do.

regards,

redfox

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users