Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 05:56 PM

Passing your compressed air analysis: Tips and troubleshooting for successful compliance

Taking place:
Friday, March 16, 2018 - 03:00 PM - 04:00 PM UK Time
This is a 10.00 AM Eastern US Start

Presenter:
Matthew DeVay, Quality Assurance Director, Trace Analytics LLC

Webinar Overview:
This session will cover frequent pitfalls of compressed air testing. Often, systems are in compliance, and yet time and time again, the analysis will show failing results. The webinar will illustrate common failure modes, discuss the pros and cons of various types of testing technology, and help viewers create a plan that will ensure continuing compliance of their compressed air and gas systems. 

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 06:00 PM

Chat logs from today's webinar:

Mohammed Osman : Hi...Mohammed Osman from Sudan
Suyapa Antunez : Hello All!
Mario Mazza : hi
Nanthavan Hongsrijinda : Hello
Kristen Toone : Hello!
NICHOLAS OSEGHALE : Hello
Paula Fabeiro Castro Fabeiro : hi 
Christi Allen : Good Morning from Minnesota
David Fitzgerald : Hello from Philadelphia
Christine Brown : Hi from Miami
AbdulRahman Abbas : Salam from Dubai
Thomas Lewis : hello
Kerry Bowman : Hello from Kansas
Suzanne Laney : Greetings!
Susy Sandoval : Hi From Toronto'
Murali K Murthy Kosaraju : Hi Dr.Murali K Murthy KSA
Ed Boos : Hi
Theresa Rodriguez : hi everyone!
Helen Prohaska : Hello
Juan Rojas : hello everybody.
Fayaj Pathan : Hi from India
tina santacruz : Good Morning
Amy Wells : Good morning.
NICHOLAS OSEGHALE : Hello from Nigeria
Nav Thandi : Hi from.Vancouver
Eva Pantoja : Good morning and hello
Jenny Chan : Hello
Vilma Cubillo Cubillo : Good morning
Javier Gomez : Hello everybody from Valencia
Craig Bahn : Good Morning
robyn bray : Hello from Washington State :)
Katie Wormuth : Good Morning from Wisconsin!
Katie Wormuth : Is there an option to call in for audio?
Noah Bogosia : Hi everyone..hello from Papua New Guinea.
Olariyike  Fasanya : hello from chicago il
Eb Chiarini : Hi from Brazil!
Stephen Ruggero : Hello from Minnesota, USA
Magdalena  Viertel : Hi from Chile
Mastaneh Dalili : Hello Everyone
Stephen Skinner : Hi everyone this is Stephen from Trinidad & Tobago
Beatrice RALIJERSON : Hello from Madagascar !
Rebeca  Torres : Good morning from 🇲🇽
May  Yeow : Have the webinar started? we can't hear anything.
Beatrice RALIJERSON : Hello from.Madagascar !
Evangelos Mourelatos : Hello from Athens Greece
Pritee Pradhan : Hi Pritee from Doterra. 
Otto b : Hi Everyone. O. Bracho, Memphis
Nicole  Logan : hello from iowa
Pritee Pradhan : I cannot hear anything
Chillida M.L. Chillida : Hi from Spain
NICHOLAS OSEGHALE : Hello
Stephen Bulow : I made it!!!
NICHOLAS OSEGHALE : Whats happenin?
MARY CLAIRE LOZARITA : Hi from the Philippines
Nanthavan Hongsrijinda : Can't hear
Ed Boos : All I see is "Flash: Video file not found"
Muhammad Zahir Ghori : Hi. This is M.Z.Ghori
May  Yeow : the checklist does not work??
Olariyike  Fasanya : hi from chicago il
Pritee Pradhan : says internet exp does not work trying google chrome
Susy Sandoval : where cam I find this limits?
Torrey McLeod : Firefox is working
Edwarda Edwarda : Hello from PL
Simon Timperley : If you have problems seeing/hearing the webinar download the checklist and make sure you comply with the requirements.
Simon Timperley : Chrome or firefox is best.
Torrey McLeod : Susy - you can find this chart here -https://www.iso.org/...dard/46418.html
Torrey McLeod : To get help with designating limits try browsing some of Trace Analytics' blogs and past webinars - https://www.airchecklab.com/blog
Rebeca  Torres : 😳
Rebeca  Torres : 0
NICHOLAS OSEGHALE : I have issues with network
MARY CLAIRE LOZARITA : google chrome - its clear here
Simon Timperley : Hi Nicholas, if you've tried all in the attendee checklist  htne you will have to wait for the recording.
NICHOLAS OSEGHALE : k, I will try it now
NICHOLAS OSEGHALE : Will it be sent to my mail Sir (Simon Timperley)?
Simon Timperley : yes
Peter Orji  Uvere : i reloaded to have very clear audio and video using Firefox
NICHOLAS OSEGHALE : k Sir, tnx
sharon bailey : Hello from Canada
Williams Estrada : Hello From Reno NV.
Rebeca  Torres : Good morning every one from Mexico City  🇲🇽
Stephen Ruggero : How to sanitize air lines?
Deborah Garcia : Good morning from the rainy San Francisco Bay area
Jenny Chan : what devid can be used to sample compressed air for micro testing?
Jenny Chan : device*
Mastaneh Dalili : OK. Thanks.
Ella Franciuc : Hello from Canada
Pavan  Shukla : Hello every one
Jenny Chan : Is there a specific sampling time for micro test and also s the sampling time for microbial testing of TPC or yeast/mold different?
Suzanne Laney : Are you familiar with CAMTU Detection Kit by Parker Balston?  If so, what are your thoughts on using this unit?
Juan Rojas : for food Industry: is SS SERIE 300 for the air compress system piping?
Christi Allen : If you already do air sampling with agar plates, will that system work?
PRITEE PRADHAN : For microbial compressed air sample once you maintain the flow of 100l/min; and you get the sample and try to get sample in another spot  do you have to get that flow rate again. t
Ruby Ochoa : sampling time is 10 minutes, one cubic meter of air
STEVEN WILLIAMS : Hello from Atlanta
David RIVIERE : I may missed it in the presentation, but from your experience in system failure, does food grade oil use should be mandatory?
Susy Sandoval : Is there a document that tells me the time required for micro sampling?
Iryna Dyachenko : Hello, we use the compressed air to eliminate the defected burgers from the line. We collect that air with the air collection machine and test in in-house Lab. Is this method effective?Some locations are difficult to sample
Suzanne Laney : Thank you very much!
Juan Rojas : What is the correct air pressure for testing APC and YM?
Rebeca  Torres : what is a ussual air class combination for packaging high higyne air use?
STEVEN WILLIAMS : Packaging for food: Should food grade oils be used in compression air system?
James McKay : If you want to ask a question make sure to click the 3 dots by the chat button below and toggle to "ask a question".
Theresa Rodriguez : what possible pathogens we can recover from compressed air?
Thomas Lewis : There is a trend to Aluminium piping for compressed air, would you recommend this.
Ruby Ochoa : ISO 8573-7
Jenny Chan : Is there any standard out there that state the sampling time or sample volume required for micro testing?  I dont remember seeing any...So we have contractors doing the sampling for us and i dont think the sampling time they do is more than a minute...
PRITEE PRADHAN : Do you have any idea about the sampling frequency? Would sampling quarterly good enough?
Pavan  Shukla : class 10
Torrey McLeod : Jenny - the OEM of your sampler validates the volume. In the Pinocchio microsampler's case the OEM validated the equipment to 1000L. There are no required micro specifications/limits stated for food. ISO 8573-7 gives you testing methods, which is an impaction sampler. 
Ruby Ochoa : There are some equipment restrictions for pressure
Simona Stroe : Hello, I would like to know what are limit for micro tests for compressed air and ambient air. Thank you
Torrey McLeod : Jenny - do you know what type of equipment they are using? It does not sound like an impaction sampler.
Rebeca  Torres : thanks  a lot!
Suzanne Laney : What air class combination would be appropriate for a bottling food industry?
Torrey McLeod : Theresa - there are many pathogens that fall under gram + or gram -. Pathogens from ambient air can end up in your compressed air system from the intake. SQF recommends .1 micron filters to filter this ambient air.
Christi Allen : My mistake, it is not agar, they are using 3M Hydrated plates procedure for ATP, Yeast and Mold and S aureus. So it would basically be the bag method...
Pavan  Shukla : What class of Air  required for Rigid plastic Manufacturing through Injection Moulding, Printing on HDPE container and whichpathogens can be present in both the process?
Nikki Smith : Prittee - Quarterly sampling is great. Before and after filter changes is also highly recommended. But really anything as frequent as once per year will show that you are monitoring.
Torrey McLeod : Suzanne - you can define this through a risk assessment. Check out this webinar here - https://www.aircheck...i-need-to-test/
Suzanne Laney : Thank you very much, Torrey!
Jenny Chan : Torrey, i am not too sure what equipment they are using.  I have to ask the contractors..
Torrey McLeod : Christi - I believe that was the "spray and pray" method that Matt described in this webinar is what you're describing. That is a qualitative only test - not quantitative.
Edwarda Edwarda : Thank you very much! Great webinar!
Juan Rojas : Thank your!  
Pavan  Shukla : please repeat the programme again
Pavan  Shukla : thank you
Ruby Ochoa : Jenny, ISO 8573-7 refers to 1 cubic meter
Iryna Dyachenko : Great presentation! We enjoyed!
PRITEE PRADHAN : Thank you
Kristen Toone : Thank you! Very informative!
David RIVIERE : thnk you very much, very useful information.!
Kerry Bowman : Thank you!
Eva Pantoja : Thank  you...
Suzanne Laney : Thank you!
Torrey McLeod : Jenny - feel free to contact us, and we can acswer more...
Jeanne Shoulder : Excellent presentation!! Thanks Matt!!
Torrey McLeod : 1.800.247.1024 ext. 5
Simona Stroe : Thank you!
Christi Allen : Thank you Very informative!!
Simon Timperley : Webinar Archive: http://www.ifsqn.com...-safety-fridays

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Trace Analytics

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 41 posts
  • 16 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Compressed Air Testing
    Compressed Gas Testing
    A Safer Food Supply

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:21 PM

Howdy IFSQN Webinar Viewers,

Here are answers to the top 10 questions we received.

Please contact us if you have any further questions. We're here to help: 1.800.AIR.1024 ext. 5 - Trace Analytics

Q1. Where can I find limits for compressed air contaminants?

A1. ISO 8573-1 has a variety of purity limits for particles, water, and oil. See BCAS Food and Beverage Grade Compressed Air Best Practice Guideline 102. They state a class [2:2:1] for direct contact and [2:4:2] for indirect contact. SQF states you should perform a hazard analysis to determine limits for the safety of your specific product(s). See our risk assessment webinar here.

Q2. What is the best method/device for sampling compressed air for microbes?

A2. ISO 8573-7:2003 states under Annex B "normative" quantitative sampling methods that, a slit sampler (impaction air tester) shall be used for detection of microorganisms. CAMTU, while a great way to qualitatively analyze your compressed air, is not validated by the original equipment manufacture (OEM) to measure colony forming units quantitatively. Therefore, CFU/m3 should not be extrapolated from the CAMTU results because the OEM does not validate it for such, as the manual is written. The SAS Pinocchio Super II is an excellent validated piece of equipment that works for this process and adheres to ISO 8573-7.

Q3. What are the sampling times for microbial tests?

A3. Microbial sampling times for compressed air impact samplers are based on the validation times and flowrates that the OEM provides in the equipments manual, or the validated procedures they provide. Often times the equipment used is accompanied with a IQ/OQ/PQ certificate. Since the media being used typically is a broad spectrum agarose (Tryptic Soy Agar), there is no difference between sampling times for yeast/mold, as they will all generally grow once impacted on the agarose surface.

Q4. Is the CAMTU microbial test unit by Parker Balston appropriate for compressed air monitoring?

A4. CAMTU, while a great way to qualitatively analyze your compressed air, is not validated by the original equipment manufacture (OEM) to measure colony forming units quantitatively (see page 3 of CAMTU manual). Therefore, CFU/m3 should not be extrapolated from the CAMTU results because the OEM does not validate it for such, as the manual is written. The SAS Pinocchio Super II is an excellent validated piece of equipment that works for this process and adheres to ISO 8573-7.

Q5. Are hydrated plates an acceptable way to sample compressed air for microorganisms?

A5. If your monitoring plan does not require your procedures to adhere to ISO 8573-7:2003 you are welcome to use the 3M hydrated plates procedure. However, ISO 8573-7:2003 states under Annex B "normative" quantitative sampling methods that, a slit sampler (impaction air tester) shall be used for detection of microorganisms. The bag method is a more passive air sampling method, where air is bouncing off the walls of the sterile bag in hopes of hitting the plate. An impact sampler forces air in a single direction, dimpling the agarose for a more active measurement, that adheres to ISO 8573-7.

Q6. Is it necessary to use food-grade oil in your compressed air system?

A6. It is recommended by SQF. Refer to the BCAS Food and Beverage Grade Compressed Air Best Practice Guideline 102. It is an excellent reference and discusses food grade oil usage.

Q7. What are the potential microbiological pathogens in compressed air?

A7. Many organisms can be isolated from compressed air: slime molds, filamentous fungi, most are facultative anaerobes (microbes that can live in oxygen poor and oxygen rich environments). There are ways of helping to eliminate the possibility of colony forming units in your compressed air/gas, and that is through your monitoring plan and preventative maintenance. Multiple factors can influence the type(s) of microbial contamination found in your compressed air/gas system, so limiting the list to just a few genera and species isn't ideal. Additionally, compressed air/gas systems often have moisture traps to help eliminate the humid environment these microbes thrive in, it should be noted that the related dessicates should be monitored routinely. Facultative anaerobes like E. coli, S. aureus and B. subtilis are capable of causing disease in humans and are often found in the environment and the human microbiota.

Q8. What is the best material for piping our compressed air lines?

A8. What materials you choose depends on your application and product, as well as your HACCP/Risk Assessment. Minimally, we would suggest aluminum as a material for your piping. It is light, durable, and resists corrosion. However, for more critical applications, stainless steel may be more appropriate. More important that your piping is your point of use filtration. Ensure that your point of use filtration is appropriate to your needs, of high quality, and well maintained.

Q9. How often should compressed air quality be tested?

A9. A quarterly or semi-annual test schedule is great for the first year or two. Once you have sufficient data points and information on how your system is performing, you can adjust to assure compressed air is contaminant free throughout the year.

Q10. Are there any limits for microbes in compressed air?

A10. None that we have found in the food industry. The pharmaceutical industry tends to use cleanroom classifications and limits.

The Compressed Air Testing Experts,

Trace Analytics

www.airchecklab.com

1.800.247.1024 ext.5

Compressed-_Air-_Testing-_Roadmap-brande

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users