• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,052 posts
  • 292 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 20 December 2018 - 03:22 PM

On the new 2020 labels, what is the smallest font I can go on the nutrition facts panel. Our label is 10 square inches. We want to use a vertical label. I've seen examples on the FDA (see below) that show a linear label with smaller font but not for a vertical label. Can I use those font sizes in a vertical label instead?

https://www.fda.gov/...n/UCM513883.pdf

Thanks in advance

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 20 December 2018 - 07:06 PM

https://www.fda.gov/...n/UCM511964.pdf

This may help.....different approved layout templates

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

SausageGuy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Washington Capitals Hockey (2018 Stanley Cup Champions), music, spending time with family

Posted 12 April 2019 - 11:01 AM

Does anyone have a blank nutrition template? I have all the nutrition information but the only type of panel I am able to generate is the standard vertical display. However, I need to use the vertical display with micronutrients listed side-by-side.

Thanks in advance!

QAGB

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 685 posts
  • 262 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:33 PM

Does anyone have a blank nutrition template? I have all the nutrition information but the only type of panel I am able to generate is the standard vertical display. However, I need to use the vertical display with micronutrients listed side-by-side.

Thanks in advance!

You may find this link of use. I use it frequently for making nutritional panels.

https://www.onlinela...-Generator.aspx

Thanked by 2 Members:

SausageGuy

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 65 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Washington Capitals Hockey (2018 Stanley Cup Champions), music, spending time with family

Posted 12 April 2019 - 03:52 PM

You may find this link of use. I use it frequently for making nutritional panels.

https://www.onlinela...-Generator.aspx

This works well, however it doesn't have the format I tried using this earlier today. I am attaching 2 pictures to show what I can already make, and what I need to make (vertical).

Attached Files

Jpainter

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 75 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:47 PM

KfromIA, 

Here are the specifications for label font sizes set by FDA:

1.) “Nutrition Facts” lettering must be bigger than any other font on the nutrition label (except for the numerical value for calories) and must span the length of the whole nutrition facts panel

2.) The smallest font sizes that can be used on the nutrition facts label are 6 point (for the lettering below vitamins, minerals, and footnotes) and 8 point (for the rest of the label). 

3.) “Calories” lettering must have a font size of at least 16 point (or 10 point for small packages).

As far as label size, there is no minimum size set by FDA, however there are a few clauses for label location or type based on total package size. 

1.) For packages with a total surface area of 40 square inches or less, the nutrition label can go on any part of the package.

2.) For packages with more than 40 square inches of total surface area, the nutrition label must appear on the information panel, PDP, or somewhere within plain sight of the consumer.

3.) If the package has less than 3 inches of vertical space for nutrition labeling, you must use the tabular nutrition label format or the side-by-side format (with the vitamin and mineral panel to the immediate right of the nutrition facts).

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users